1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

DISH vip622 Manual Timer Bug?

Discussion in 'ViP612/622/722/722K DVR Support Forum' started by jeffdb27, Feb 13, 2009.

1. jeffdb27

jeffdb27 AllStar

Jul 13, 2007
    I set a manual timer on my Dish vip622 to try to record only part of a news program. The manual timer is for a local (OTA) channel and is set from 10:06pm to 10:15pm Monday through Friday. It should record 9 minutes each weekday. But instead, it always records the entire 35 minute program (10:00pm-10:35pm, no early start or late ending).

Is this a known bug? Has anyone else seen this behavior?

Thanks,

Jeff

2. TulsaOK

TulsaOK DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 23, 2004
    When you check your timers, does it display "manual timer" or is it the name of the program?

3. jeffdb27

jeffdb27 AllStar

Jul 13, 2007
    It shows the name of the program, even though I created it as a manual timer. When I choose edit on the timer, it shows 10:06pm to 10:15pm, yet as I said, it always records the entire program.

Ok, now that I think about it, it's possible I created this as a normal timer and edited the time. This should still only reocord the time that I specified.
    Why allow editing the time, if you're just going to ignore it and record the entire program anyway?

I have just created a true manual timer and it says Manual Timer in the list. I will see how this one behaves now.

Jeff

4. Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Leapin' Lizard Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    You hit on what I was going to ask. I have tried creating a guide timer, then editing the time... and that virtually never works as the receiver will self-correct to the full episode time.

I've never had a problem creating a manual timer though. I have had to do that for some things that come on at odd times like the HDNet Test Pattern.

5. TulsaOK

TulsaOK DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 23, 2004
    That will work. I had the same issue until I figured it out (with a little help from these folks).

6. jeffdb27

jeffdb27 AllStar

Jul 13, 2007
    Come to think of it, why do they even list the times on a conventional timer? They don't on a true auto timer that you choose All episodes or New episodes.

On Weekly or M-F timers they let you edit the time, but apparently just ignore your adjustments anyway. I wonder what would happen if i "adjusted" the timer so it was three hours later in the middle of some other show...

Jeff

7. jeffdb27

jeffdb27 AllStar

Jul 13, 2007
    Well, following up, doing a true manual timer does just record the nine minutes specified.

This still doesn't answer the question as to why they let you edit the time on other types of timers, if the edits are just going to be ignored!

Jeff

8. CABill

CABill Hall Of Fame

Mar 20, 2005
    I haven't tested this in a long time, and it wasn't with a ViP receiver, but I seem to recall a 4 hour window around the time set would qualify to shift a Weekly or Daily event. I'd *expect* that a change to the time of a couple hours would be caught and the show recorded. If you were to change the time by 8 hours, I'd expect it to NOT record the show. Again, this was my 942's behavior trying to adjust some show that shifted, but was still close to what was originally requested, and recording anyhow. ViPs may not do the same.