1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

DISH VIP922 is Back!

Discussion in 'ViP922 DVR Support Forum' started by Jhon69, Jun 4, 2012.

1. Jun 4, 2012 #1 of 29
    Jhon69

Jhon69 Hall Of Fame

Mar 27, 2006
    Central San...
  2. Jun 4, 2012 #2 of 29
    SandyG3

SandyG3 AllStar

Nov 28, 2002
    Glad to hear. Ever since the Block Buster update last month; its been great. I've had no complaints from my 922 over the years. Has been a solid box for me.

3. Jun 4, 2012 #3 of 29
    Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Doctor Whom Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    Am I missing something, or hasn't it been back for a while now?

I thought it came back within a week of when they released the Blockbuster@Home firmware update. I know a DIRT rep posted they were available...

I never checked the Web site, though, so maybe they were just slow in adding it back there?

4. Jun 4, 2012 #4 of 29
    Jhon69

Jhon69 Hall Of Fame

Mar 27, 2006
    Central San...

You are correct sir,but I have been watching and just noticed the addition on DISH's website today.:)

Of course it could have been added,and I just missed it......Sooner!.;):D

5. Jun 6, 2012 #5 of 29
    Ray C@DISH Network

Ray C@DISH Network DISH Representative DISH Representative

Dec 28, 2010
    It has been available again for about a month. Blockbuster@Home was added. Thanks.

6. Jun 6, 2012 #6 of 29
    shadough

shadough Icon

Dec 31, 2006
    Now I just need to get mine swapped out, since it keeps shutting off on me w/ the Fan blowing full blast. But 1st, I wanna try to see if I can salvage any recordings to an EHD. Course that means I gotta find the $ to get an EHD.

7. Jun 7, 2012 #7 of 29
    Ray C@DISH Network

Dec 28, 2010
    Have you tried unplugging the receiver from the electrical outlet for 10 seconds and plugging the receiver back in to see if the power issue is resolved? Do you have sufficient ventilation around the receiver? When you are ready to replace the receiver, please PM me. Thanks.

8. khearrean

khearrean Godfather

Mar 24, 2004
    S.E. Texas
    After 17 years with Dish, I still haven't had a DVR & I keep delaying. For the past 2-3 years, I've had (2) 211k's. I don't care about the whole-house DVR concept because we would never use/watch the DVR in any room other than our main viewing room. But at the same time, I'm the type who likes all the bells & whistles and nice looking interface. Considering that, would I be just as happy with the 922 as I would the Hopper? Also, I don't see from the specs if the 922 has a built-in OTA tuner. I know the Hopper does not!

I do prefer having this capability because I happen to be one who believes HD viewing of locals via OTA yields better a PQ than SAT.

Ken

9. shadough

shadough Icon

Dec 31, 2006
    The 922k has an expansion slot for an OTA tuner. Its not built in. Its a $50 add on thru dish, or buy it online for $35 plus shiping. The only receiver I know that has a built in tuner is the 722 NON-k model, anotherwords NOT the 722k model. The 722k model is the same as the 922k, has a slot for the OTA module to slide into. It would appear the 622 also has 1 built in. But I believe those models are hard to find.

10. Jhon69

Jhon69 Hall Of Fame

Mar 27, 2006
    Central San...
    I believe the same way you do,and with the Dual Over The Air Tuners Module(MT2) in the VIP922 it works good.Would you be just as happy?,don't know, but I am.I'm running the VIP922/wMT2 and 3-211ks in the bedrooms.Got them all tied together with the DISH Sling Turbo Homeplug Adaptor.:D

I really like the new Logo Guide Format and Menu Tiles.:D

When I want to watch an HD channel on my computer in another room having the built in Slingbox is sweet too!.:D

11. shadough

shadough Icon

Dec 31, 2006
    I forgot to mention that the 211k's also have a built in OTA tuner, or at least I believe they do (someone can correct me if I'm wrong). And the 211's can be made INTO a dvr by purchasing a 1 TB (or less) external HD.

12. Ray C@DISH Network

Dec 28, 2010
    All the receivers have an OTA or TV/Antenna Cable In Port. The 922,222k, and 722k have a slot for the OTA module, allowing for 2 tuners. The other OTA configuration (built-in) has only 1 tuner. Thanks.

13. khearrean

khearrean Godfather

Mar 24, 2004
    S.E. Texas
    Now I'm confused. Are you saying that all Dish receivers including DVR's have at least (1) built-in OTA tuner like my 211k? That's not what I've been understanding..

Ken

14. RasputinAXP

RasputinAXP Kwisatz Haderach of Cordcuttery

Jan 23, 2008
    Yup, they do. 622 and 722 have an antenna port for a single tuner. The others have a slot for an MT2 dual ota tuner card.

15. Ray C@DISH Network

Dec 28, 2010
    Yes, all receivers have the OTA capability. The older receivers have a coax port (TV Antenna/Cable IN), with newer receivers having TV Antenna/ Cable In -8VSB-. These are pass through ports.

As I mentioned in an earlier post, the 922, 722k, and 222k have a slot for the OTA Module. The 922 and 722k provide the dual tuner OTA module. 222k is not a DVR receiver. Thanks.

16. BobaBird

BobaBird EKB Editor

Mar 30, 2002
    "All" being the HD receivers as listed and the 811/381. Hopper will someday have an add-on USB tuner.

17. tampa8

tampa8 Godfather/Supporter

Mar 30, 2002
    VIP612 has built in OTA

18. khearrean

khearrean Godfather

Mar 24, 2004
    S.E. Texas
    Sorry to still be on this, but maybe I'm just ignorant! When you say the 922 has a slot for the OTA module, that doesn't sound like a built-in OTA tuner. That gives me the impression the slot is there for an "optional" OTA tuner. My 211k has a built-in OTA tuner (labeled "Over The Air Antenna In") so I can receive my locals via an OTA antenna. (I don't have to buy/have an optional module). I'm looking for the same thing with the 922, since I know the Hopper doesn't have one built-in. And the written specs on the 922 say nothing about having a built-in OTA tuner.

Ken

19. lparsons21

lparsons21 Hall Of Fame

Mar 4, 2006
    Herrin, IL
    On the 922, just like the 722k, the OTA is an extra cost option. But it is an internal one. You just take a small plate off the back of the unit and slide the tuner module into place.

On the others, OTA is built-in already.

With the Hopper, when OTA becomes available it will be a USB device.

20. khearrean

khearrean Godfather

Mar 24, 2004
    S.E. Texas
    Great! That's exactly the answer I was looking for..

Thanks,

Ken