1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DISH vs. DTV

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by nhguy, Dec 19, 2010.

1. nhguy

nhguy Mentor

Jul 16, 2006
    Hello All,
    I realize this is probably a topic already well discussed, but the threads I found go back several years. I am a DTV customer w/ all the premium movie channels and 2 HD recievers and 1 SD.
    My bill w/ no PPV runs about $150/mo.
    Dish has quoted me the equivalent service for $100 / month. I am not interested in any sports that aren't shown on the major networks or any premium sports programming.
    Is there there a reason not to switch?

2. Richierich

Richierich Hall Of Fame

Jan 10, 2008
    Do you have WHDVR Service (MRV)? If so you will lose it.

We have Nomad coming which will give you Directv To Go on your Cell Phone or Laptop. It would take an awful lot to get me to change and my bill is about $160/month.

If you don't have WHDVR Service have you thought about it and just don't need it?

3. hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001 Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2004
    Perhaps you need to rethink and change the package you have right now. In addition, there is reason to believe that DirecTV will also be re-packaging their channels in 2011, including something that fits your needs better.

The hassle of swithing may not be worth the discomfort of adjusting your current package or waiting for new combinations coming in the future.

4. Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson 6EQUJ5 WOW! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 24, 2007
    Is that an introductory price?

Mike

5. domingos35

domingos35 Icon

Jan 11, 2006
    $50 month is a lot of money.
    why pay more ?
    if u are not interested in sports theres no reason to stay with directv
    make the move and save,get more HD channels better DVR's etc etc
    u will pay less than $100 month for the first year after u include programming credit
    plus check this out
    http://www.dishnetwork.com/amazon/

6. ShapeGSX

ShapeGSX Godfather

Sep 17, 2006
    I'd just drop all of the special channels and get a Netflix 2 at a time plan with streaming and Blu-Ray for $18 a month. It is a much better deal. And you get to choose the movies that you see, rather than letting the channels choose for you. Plus most of the shows that these channels have come out on Blu-Ray or DVD, or even Netflix streaming.

7. nhguy

nhguy Mentor

Jul 16, 2006
    that is for the first year, then it goes up by about $15/mo,per the quote.

8. sigma1914

sigma1914 Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

Sep 5, 2006
    Allen, TX
    Does the $100/month include lease fees, DVR fees, taxes, etc.?

9. boba

boba Hall Of Fame

May 23, 2003
    As a current DISH and former Directv customer I would say they are very similar. Evaluate the content of the programming packages and the fees you will pay. DISH may have some better prices on programming but can make up in receiver fees. Add a second HD DVR with DISH and you add $17 each month to the bill.

Look at D* programming packages you maybe able to drop to a lower monthly package that still delivers programs that you watch. Do you really need all the movie channels? Have you tried retention to see if they can help on your monthly bill?

Remember if you switch to either service you enter a 2 year contract that will lock you into that service.

10. mdavej

mdavej Hall Of Fame

Jan 30, 2007
    Current Dish sub and former D* sub here. That Dish price sounds suspiciously low. It sounds like you're not getting the whole story, like sigma said. As you can see from my bill below, which is about $80, adding all premiums for $40-$50 and HD Platinum for $10 plus taxes and you're up around $140-$150. Do you mind posting the details?

Extra receivers are higher with Dish. But a second HD DVR can be had for only $7 per month if you furnish your own hard drive and pay a $40 activation fee. I just did it myself when I added a 211k.

Here's my bill:

America's Top 250 $64.99 (Duo 722k DVR 1 HD, 1 SD)
    HD Solo Receiver $7.00 (211k converted to HD DVR with External Hard Drive)
    DVR Service $6.00
    Tax

Upfront costs include the price of a hard drive and its $40 activation fee for the 2nd DVR and a $100 sling adapter if you want remote viewing.

There are other good reasons to switch or not, but saving money isn't one of them unless you get Dish's cheapest package. If you want to save money, you'll have to drop some premiums.

11. cariera

cariera Icon

Oct 27, 2006
    That Directv bill sounds suspiciously high:

Premier $115
    HD 10
    Addtl rec 10

Total of $135. Do you have MRV, DVRs, HD Extra? You can probably knock of the $10 HD Access by signing up for autopay.

Again the details would be helpful in making suggetions.:)

12. Hoosier205

Hoosier205 Active Member

Sep 3, 2007
    Picture quality.

13. domingos35

domingos35 Icon

Jan 11, 2006
    your usual answer
    liar:rolleyes:

14. Xsabresx

Xsabresx Icon

Oct 8, 2007
    The OP's bill is about what mine is with:
    2 HD DVR
    2 HD Receivers
    Premier
    HD Extra
    WHDVR
    Tax, Title, Licensing, Destination charges :D

15. carl6

carl6 Moderator Staff Member DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    If you really use all the premium channels, then make sure you are comparing apples to apples between the two providers. If not (you don't really use all the premium services), you can probably cut your DirecTV bill significantly by dropping to a lower package and adding one or even two premium services to it.

I have never used Dish Network, so cannot comment on their service. I have a friend who switches back and forth every few years to get new customer promos. He can afford regular pricing, he's just a miser. I've been with DirecTV since the service was first introduced, with a break of a couple years due to financial considerations. Even now, I have to watch my budget, and I do cut service periodically to keep my total monthly bill about the same (my goal is to keep it in the neighborhood of $100 a month).

16. hasan

hasan Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2006
    Ogden, IA
    It's one thing to have a difference of opinion, it's entirely another to call someone a liar. PQ is a subjective issue, it's not like saying 2 + 2 = 5. In these cases, some restraint is called for. At least consider it.

17. PaulD @ DISH Network

PaulD @ DISH Network DISH Representative DISH Representative

Dec 18, 2010
    Dish Network's Internet Response Team here, I would like to talk more with you about "what all you want" for your tv viewing so we can give you the right prices for your home.

18. BlueRidgePro

BlueRidgePro Cool Member

Nov 11, 2010
    I switch back and forth between Dish & DTV every 2 years, when my contract expires. I've done that 4 times!

For some reason, that I cannot understand, they both offer discounts & free equipment upgrades to new subscribers, but will not give the same prices to existing customers.

I find that one can save about 30% on my bills in the first year by switching. The big draw for me is free upgraded equipment. The package deals usually involve discounts or rebates on package prices, and/or equipment rental, and generally are only for the first year of a 2-year contract. Installation is always free.

I just came back to DTV from 2.5 years on Dish & got all new equipment, free DVRs for a year, free HD for the life of the contract, a package discount & free premium channels for 3 months.

That deal ran back in Sept/Oct. You have to watch for deals on the websites, as they come and go. But - they're always there!

When I called Dish to try to negotiate, rather that switch, they refused. Then, a month after I switched, I get a "please come back" offer, that offered all sorts of big discounts! Kind of dumb sending that after a customer signs a contract with the competition.

I find the two services pretty much the same, in terms of channels (although fan-boys on both sides will argue minutia)

19. bryanw3535

bryanw3535 Legend

Aug 1, 2008
    Don't do it! Smells like a scam.

20. tkrandall

tkrandall Hall Of Fame

Oct 3, 2003
    There is no doubt an assessment that has been done that is based in the fact that most people don't really want to bother with actually switching, and thus don't.

Stated formulaically:
    (revenue maintained by not routinely offering the new customer type discounts to existing customers) - (the revenue lost due to customers willing to actually switch) must be greater than (net revenue maintained by retaining customers via routine offering of new customer type discounts to existing customers)