1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dish was stolen!!!

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by henderson, Sep 19, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. henderson

henderson Cool Member

Jul 6, 2004
    My dish was stolen from the side of my house today! Wires were cut and just the post on the roof is there!!!! Called Dish, they said I would have to purchase a new one and I could file it with my homeowners insurance. The total cost to replace they quoted me was $307.00! I only paid a little over $600 for my whole system...... I am not happy. Does anyone know if this is a problem??? I have never heard of this in neither had the policeman who came to take the report.

2. JM Anthony

JM Anthony Child of the 60's DBSTalk Gold Club

Nov 16, 2003
    I gotta thinks it's some punk vandals. Why would anyone want a dish, let alone one they've got to heist off of someone else's roof.

3. Jacob S

Jacob S Hall Of Fame

Apr 14, 2002
    Was this a SuperDish in which is required to receive the local channels? The dish itself retails for $200. If so the quote they gave you was probably for installation of that dish as well. If you are in a SuperDish market that is supposed to go to a Dish1000 then you may be able to install two small Dish300/18" DirecTv dishes connected to a legacy sw-21 switch (some say they can even get 119 and 129 on a Dish500) to get your locals in. This would be equal to a poor man's SuperDish.

4. SimpleSimon

SimpleSimon Hall Of Fame

Jan 15, 2004
    Yeah - sure wish we could tell you if you're in one of the 25 DMAs that are going to D1000 - but you haven't bothered to enter your location info in your profile.

5. ibglowin

ibglowin Godfather/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Sep 10, 2002
    eBay is your friend....

6. henderson

henderson Cool Member

Jul 6, 2004
    Update - I am in Richardson, Texas, a suburb of Dallas. Every dish on my street was stolen yesterday, not just mine. I am not sure what dish I had. I had locals on sd, and I have an off air ant. that was integrated. I am trying to reach the guy that did my original install to see if he can do anything for me. I am honestly worried about putting another one up though - I don't want to have to cough up $300 every time some punk gets a notion to steal it.

7. ntexasdude

ntexasdude Hall Of Fame

Jan 23, 2005
    I'd say there is a good chance the police will catch them but I'm not sure how you would ever figure out which dish is yours. This has got me to thinking, maybe I should engrave I.D. marks on my dish and switch - maybe we all should. My dish is mounted on a pole on the side of my house, clearly visible from the street.

8. Ken Howe

Ken Howe Legend

Aug 9, 2005
    we only charge $75 for a dish 500... so... if it wasnt a superdish... whomever you went through is charging you an arm and a leg.

9. henderson

henderson Cool Member

Jul 6, 2004

I called dish directly and they were the ones who quoted me $307. I luckily just reached my original installer and he is taking care of me. $75 plus the install. I am having them mount it on the chimney this time though which will make it harder to get to.
    BTW, a warning to everyone, when I called dish directly they thought I had leased the equipment (which I hadn') - and told me I would be liable for replacing it if I left dish.

10. Ken Howe

Ken Howe Legend

Aug 9, 2005
    Thats what renters insurance is fer. ^_^ But yeah... stolen equipment is expected to be re-imbursed. Which kinda sucks... so anti-theft clubs for dishes? Hrm... new concept... i like... will have to talk to superiors... mwa.

11. leemathre

leemathre Legend

Sep 25, 2003
    So, what does this have to do with the 921? Why post it in this forum?

12. Mike D-CO5

Mike D-CO5 Hall Of Fame

Mar 11, 2003
    Sounds like the cable company is stealing all the dishes on your street. Cough up money to get another dish or go with a free cable install. Sounds just like their tactics.:p

13. jergenf

jergenf Godfather

Mar 31, 2005
    Those cable guys will do anything to get you to subscribe with them.

14. Ken Howe

Ken Howe Legend

Aug 9, 2005
    yeap... check J.D. Power and Assoc. online... comcast got 2 out of 5 stars from J.D. There is a big surprize, no?

15. Ken Howe

Ken Howe Legend

Aug 9, 2005
    LOL, interesting Idea... but why bother? its not like you need to have "your" dish to make it work...

16. henderson

henderson Cool Member

Jul 6, 2004

I have a 921 - so this is the forum I usually check in on. I figure most of us have similar $$$ sunk into this system and I wanted feedback from people with a similar concerns. I feel like I already have a significant investment in this system - I don't want to cough up additional money every time someone decides to steal it - increasing my investment even further. So feedback from this forum was more critical for me.

17. Michael P

Michael P Hall Of Fame

Oct 27, 2004
    Maybe an alarm attched to the dish is an answer.

How about a warning sign: "You toucha my dish I breaka yo face!" :D

18. Redster

Redster Godfather/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Jan 14, 2004
    superglue some razor blades to the underside of the lip, then just get prints from the leftover pieces of fingers. :D

19. derwin0

derwin0 Icon

Jan 31, 2005
    A 110 line to the dish itself (isolate the connection to the Lnb & roof first though) :D

20. dj 1

dj 1 New Member

Sep 20, 2005
    i'll sell you a dish 500 with a dp quad for $50 you pay shipping

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.