1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Dish

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by bart, Jan 12, 2014.

1. bart

bart New Member

Jan 12, 2014
    Need some help! I have a direct tv H20/100 receiver what dish do I need to get all channels even HD ???

2. peds48

peds48 DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    At the very least, you would need an Slimline dish with an SL3 LNB and one BBC

3. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    Or one with a SWM LNB (more futureproof) and no BBC.

Though I think we need more info. Do you currently have DirecTV service? Unless policy has changed, I don't think they allow self install for new customers.

4. peds48

peds48 DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    Well, they do it allow it you just won't get the equipment without the discounted prices

5. bart

bart New Member

Jan 12, 2014
    I have current service!! Just have basic channels no HD!!

Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk

6. bart

bart New Member

Jan 12, 2014
    And a old dish !! What can I do to get some HD channels ? I think it's my dish!!

7. litzdog911

litzdog911 DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Jun 23, 2004
    Mill Creek, WA
    Right. You need a new HD-capable Slimline dish. Have you called DirecTV? They often have sweet deals when you upgrade to HiDef equipment, including installation of the new dish.

8. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    +1
    Usually a lot cheaper than doing it yourself.

9. bart

bart New Member

Jan 12, 2014
    Thanks to all

10. bart

bart New Member

Jan 12, 2014
    One other question I only have one cable line going to the dish do I need a switch or something else???

11. gov

gov Legend

Jan 11, 2013
    However, for the folks that do elect to self install an HD dish (without the requisite skill set) it does make you eligible for our exciting "Hall of Shame" thread, and some humorous comments form the inmates here.

:coffee

12. HoTat2

HoTat2 Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2005
    Los...
    Depends;

If you only plan on using that one H20 receiver for the foreseeable future, the single coax line to the dish is sufficient with either a legacy (four output LNBF) or a SWIM integrated LNBF one.

However, if you plan on possibly expanding to more than one receiver in the future, but don't want to make any more trips up to the dish to run additional cable(s), then make sure to use only a SWIM LNBF for future-proofing.

13. Old_School

Old_School Legend

Nov 28, 2011
    PA
    I had a CSR just today tell me that it was illegal for a current customer to install there own dish without calling directv and getting tech supervision.... it was hard to keep proper composure... !rolling

Good luck getting the PoPo to enforce that one....

Judge: Alright Charlie, what are you in for?

Charlie: I tried to install my own Slimline......

14. supermod38

supermod38 Mentor

Jan 16, 2013
    Central VA.
    i just moved from ny to va and did my own install, not a problem. now i will have to watch my driveway for the dish police, don't wanna go to the slammer.!