1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DishComm

Discussion in 'ViP612/622/722/722K DVR Support Forum' started by patmurphey, Mar 23, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. patmurphey

patmurphey Godfather

Dec 21, 2006
    What is DishComm?

2. dstrouth

dstrouth New Member

Mar 20, 2007
    DishComm will allow you to have one receiver that supports the technology to be plugged into a phone line, and other receivers(which also support DISHCOMM) that are not connected to a phone line will be able to get Caller ID information, and call into DishNetwork to report PPV movies through the electrical outlets. Its Like a wireless Phone jack built into the receiver.

3. Bill R

Bill R Hall Of Fame

Dec 20, 2002
    DishComm uses the power line to enable receivers to communicate with each other. If you have your receiver on a surge protector or a UPS it may not be able to communicate with the other DishComm device.

4. patmurphey

patmurphey Godfather

Dec 21, 2006
    Thanks

Pat

5. JDGJr

JDGJr New Member

Mar 1, 2007
    this is not intended as a means to share content, tho, correct?

6. Mike D-CO5

Mike D-CO5 Hall Of Fame

Mar 11, 2003

Not as I understand it, but it would be cool if it could be used for shared content. The problem I see is that everyone I know , me included ,keeps their dvrs on a surge protecter of some kind to protect it from electric strikes and power surges. Dish would have to come out with some kind of power strip or surge protecter that they approve of, that will still work over the power lines in the house in order to use dish comm and or share content.

7. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    Just sharing the modem.

8. skyviewmark1

skyviewmark1 Godfather

Sep 28, 2006
    Are there any receivers out there yet besides the 622 with L4.01 that are Dish Comm compatible.. My 622 doesn't seem to find my 625 or 522 so they must not be compatible.

9. tnsprin

tnsprin Hall Of Fame

Mar 15, 2003
    No, but updates should be coming for all of them that have the hardware.

10. TheGrove

TheGrove AllStar

Jan 9, 2007
    Or go the TiVo route and enable the Ethernet port and allow you to connect via broadband. I realize there may be other issues involved but it would be nice.

11. James Long

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    I'm sure that will be possible down the road ... the idea of letting a 622 share its videos with another 622 or a 211 on the same account securely via a home network is a good one. But not one that I would expect to see developed this year.

12. BobaBird

BobaBird EKB Editor

Mar 30, 2002
    Those being the 211/411 and presumably the 222 if we ever see it.

The 942 was to have been the first receiver to get it, but the newer receivers have newer hardware incompatible with that in the 942 so the upgrade was canceled before it was ever enabled.

13. sNEIRBO

sNEIRBO Icon

Jul 23, 2006
    Any chance that ethernet port can be used like the newly announced TiVo - Amazon download services? It would be nice to be able to download content to the DISH DVR, but then again, I've had that availability on my Xbox 360 for the past 5 months and have only used it twice . . .

14. tnsprin

tnsprin Hall Of Fame

Mar 15, 2003
    See Discussion on DishOnline service.

15. James Long

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    In other words ... E*'s working on it. :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.