1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dishonline = awesome

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by fudpucker, Oct 27, 2012.

1. fudpucker

fudpucker Godfather

Jul 23, 2007
    NW Iowa
    We usually come on here to complain. I want to praise Dish.

We're in Germany for a week. Lots of sight-seeing and eating great food combined with business. But at the end of the evening, we'd just like to relax in the room and watch a little TV. All the channels except CNN in the room are in German.

Netflix: "Not available in your area." Amazon Prime "Not available in your area." Crackle, etc. all the same. (I know, I could install a proxy program, etc. etc. but even that was iffy at best.)

But with a Sling and Dishonline, we're looking at what's on TV live, checking out what's recorded on the DVR, setting a recording for something we forgot to record before we left. The playback can get a little spotty at times (hey, we're in Germany, watching stuff on our DVR and IRD at home in the U.S., over a very average at best hotel wireless connection.) But it works. And frankly, the ability to pick and choose and watch on my iPad or notebook, from the hotel in Germany, is pretty awesome.

2. AZ.

AZ. Legend

Mar 27, 2011
    Yea I'll chime in....My 922 has been very stable for a year, I live 1700 miles from my home never miss any of the BIG 5 or my local Chicago news....Its allways the highlite of my long day!!!!!!

3. Inkosaurus

Inkosaurus Icon

Jul 29, 2011

Thats pretty awesome. I remember telling customers they could use these features anywhere even over sees and they just couldnt believe it.
    Heck I had a hard time coming around to it I always thought the distance was to great to make it easy to use.

So its pretty awesome to hear your and AZ's stories.

4. fudpucker

fudpucker Godfather

Jul 23, 2007
    NW Iowa
    Yeah, we got back to the room after a late dinner last night, around 11:00 PM, and my wife said sure would be nice to watch Friday's Blue Bloods before we turn out the lights. We watched that, then watched the previous evenings local news and sports (wanted to see how our local high school football team did in the playoffs.) An amazing touch of home from far away. While all the normal online video services such as Netflix and Amazon Prime have all kinds of restrictions, Dishonline's only restriction is your internet bandwidth. We had a pretty good picture last night with a relatively low speed wireless connection in the hotel room.

5. jimcoe

jimcoe Cool Member

Jul 24, 2012
    I was in Japan after the Tsunami when the locals couldn't get television and I was watching local Nashville news live on my laptop. Earlier watched Titans games live from Germany. We've enjoyed watching movies at the firepit in our backyard also.

6. 356B

356B Icon

Oct 11, 2008
    Northern...
    With worts and all it's better to have then not....I use it every day....on the road, at home, in the shop, and it's getting better and I imagine will continue to get better.

7. odsingCPA

odsingCPA New Member

Feb 1, 2012
    Would be much better if Dish did not require Adobe Flash so that I could watch videos on my TV through my Xbox. (now that Xbox has Internet Explorer)

8. Ray C@DISH Network

Ray C@DISH Network DISH Representative DISH Representative

Dec 28, 2010
    I'm glad to hear y'all are enjoying the slinging capabilities with your receivers. I use mine a lot also while I'm out or during lunch at work. I love the technology and we continue to make improvements. Thanks for the feedback!