1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dish's response to defective remote

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by Rollwithit, Apr 19, 2010.

1. Rollwithit

Rollwithit New Member

Apr 19, 2010
    calif. bay area
    Just a heads up…..

I just came here a few minutes ago with a problem (Like I normally do when I have a Dish problem!!!) And of course, within a few clicks, I have my answer!

My vip722 #2 UHF remote suddenly started killing batteries a week or so ago…they last about a day or two with almost NO use! The remote looks like new, with very low use….
    So finding this was a known defect & Dish *SEEMED* to be making good on replacements…I went online and contacted Dish support, with a smile on my face!

After I explained my problem & asked how I might “fix” my remote…Jenna W says I can send Dish … $36.79…. & how do I want to pay for this????

I said sorry, I won’t spend money on your equipment.
    She says sorry, I don’t show you have a service plan and there will be a charge.
    Thank you for being a Dish network customer & have a wonderful day!

So, I guess Dish isn’t replacing THEIR defective UHF remotes for free anymore.
    (And yes I’m a good customer….about ten years, always on time, with everything & HD $130 + a month… and yes, she took my account info & must have checked all that!)

 So... I must be back under contract for that extra 612 & she knows I can’t cancel!!!! 

First time poster (I think….could have sworn I had a password & you guys helped me out a few years ago…but I can’t find it)

Anyway… a longtime reader & I have learned a lot here! So, Thank you!

2. boba

boba Hall Of Fame

May 23, 2003
    The usual suggestion is play CSR Roulette. You also have buy the service plan or SHOP EBAY for options.

3. TulsaOK

TulsaOK New Member

Feb 23, 2004
    :welcome_s Rollwithit.
    boba's eBay suggestion is worth checking out. I see some for under $10. I have purchased several over the years with great success.

4. Rollwithit

Rollwithit New Member

Apr 19, 2010
    calif. bay area
    Yea, that was my first thought when I realized the remote had a problem. I was just going to check ebay/amazon....when I remembered to check here first!
    and now I probably will use ebay/amazon... Maybe...

After I had read that several others had the exact same issue & realized it has to be some sort of known defect, I thought that Dish might come thru for me too...but I guess not!
    (Hey, I'm sure a certain amount of customer’s abuse their remotes, let their dogs chew them up & try to get new ones for an old worn out one....but that’s not always the case!)

So anyway...it's just a remote, right?
    I'm just a little sensitive to the continuous spiraling monthly costs that drain my fixed retirement income! And no, it’s not just Dish sucking me dry…I’m just a little more aware it because of all the other money drains, sucking away at my income!

& I don't think I want to pay to repair or replace Dish's faulty equipment..that I pay monthly... to rent!

And I really don't want to have to pay an extra $72 a year, just to replace their faulty equipment...:mad:

5. Rollwithit

Rollwithit New Member

Apr 19, 2010
    calif. bay area
    Oh yea....I used the "online chat" when I contacted Dish about this...

Maybe the "chat" thing is not the best way to resolve issues that might require a little flexability on the CSR's part?

6. BattleZone

BattleZone Hall Of Fame

Nov 13, 2007
    Dish has a history of "giving away the farm" to keep customers, but that's a history that they are (finally) trying to change, as they realize that they have trained their entire customer base to complain about everything until they get it for free (CSR roulette, etc.). It was costing Dish a fortune, and they finally decided some changes were needed.

Starting in February of this year, all tech visits for anything except a new install cost $95 without the Service Plan and $15 with the plan. And Dish has been training their CSRs that these charges are NOT flexible unless Dish has already done something wrong to the customer (a tech missing an earlier appt, some promise not kept, etc.).

Similarly, they are enforcing the Service Plan rules more tightly. You get a 60 day warranty on your install and your accessories (remotes and such). After that, you either have the Service Plan, or you pay. In other words, they are starting to run things like every other business does.

I grant you that Dish has some known issues with their RF remotes, and for that reason (and not any of the others you mentioned), they might have made an exception, but Dish is having to hold their CSRs' feet to the fire to prevent them from reverting back to their old habits of giving everything away for free. So, now you suffer because of all of the customers who DO let the dog chew on the remote, or spill their soda in it, and then demand a new one because "it just stopped working." I see it every day...

7. Rollwithit

Rollwithit New Member

Apr 19, 2010
    calif. bay area
    Well, I respect Dish’s right to make a profit, that’s for sure & I wish them well.

However MY choice is to now review my bill & see if I really need the everything pack, plus the movie pack, plus locals (I get HD OTA via antenna free)…and just maybe I can trim my bill from $139.71 a month to something nearer to the $60 something a month I started with many years ago 

Heck…I’ll be happy, cause we really only watch very few channels, some HBO/Showtime specials, a few HD channels and a few movies here & there….AND, just maybe, I’ll be saving anywhere from $30 to $50 after-tax cash…. a month!

Dish should be happy, cause they have cut their op costs by not giving out free stuff!

(And really…I do appreciate Dish for doing this…it gets me off my lazy rear & makes me work on cleaning up my expenses….Heck, it took the Feb. rate increase to get me to cancel the $5 Dish magazine we had forever & NEVER read…it just took up space on the coffee table, month after month…!)

So… We all win!!!!! :)

8. Justgrooven

Justgrooven Cool Member

Jan 23, 2010
    Wow, that is pricey. Remotes on the dish site are $20, are they charging $17 for shipping? Funny thing, as I post this reply I see a banner add for Dish remotes. Amazon 21.0 IR UHF Pro for $20.50. I have one of these, very nice.

9. Rollwithit

Rollwithit New Member

Apr 19, 2010
    calif. bay area
    Yeah, Amazon will probably be my choice if I replace it.

I do see where the Dish site says $19.99, but it shows a standard remote...so the uhf might be more & then probably shipping.

maybe I'll sign in just out of curiosity to see how much they say for the 6.3.

I printed out the entire chat log....but not sure how to post it here....

10. coldsteel

coldsteel Hall Of Fame

Mar 29, 2007
    It's $19.99 + tax and $15 shipping for any remote. What do you expect for out-of-warranty equipment?

11. Rollwithit

Rollwithit New Member

Apr 19, 2010
    calif. bay area
    Well, since I'm leasing it...maybe they can take it back & I can just lease a new one!:)

I really don't see why I should replace THEIR faulty equipment....just so I can pay rental fees on it, so I can pay to use their services...

But like I said...It's all good! I've gotten by for about 18 months or so, not really ever using the 2nd remote, so it's no big deal, we will just move the living room remote back & forth.

Plus the bright side now is... maybe I'll get my rear in gear & save myself a little cash by triming some un-used services!!!!:)