1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dish's sling adapter ----->router for better throughput?

Discussion in 'Hopper System Support Forum' started by productofusa, Mar 11, 2013.

1. productofusa

productofusa New Member

Jul 28, 2012
    I'm curious if anyone has tried to plug their Sling adapter straight into their router for perhaps a little better throughput, I'd just go ahead and try it but it's buried behind a entertainment center so i figured asking might work.

It works OK but I figured if it was plugged right into the router I might be able to cut down on a bit of interference as the way it is now is, plugged into hopper, plugged into switch, plugged into router.

I've heard this can be done with a regular slingbox and it got me to thinking. Has anyone tried this? I'm thinking its proprietary to the hopper (dish equipment) so I'm not holding out much hope.

Thanks! :confused:

2. mdavej

mdavej Hall Of Fame

Jan 30, 2007
    Sorry but your question doesn't make any sense. The sling adapter is designed to be plugged into a DVR. Does your router even have USB inputs?

3. sregener

sregener Godfather

Apr 17, 2012
    I'm curious about the speed you're getting. How slow is it?

But mdavej is right, you can't plug the Dish sling adapter into the router because it's a USB 2.0 connection to your Hopper 1.0 (and there is no separate sling adapter for Hopper 2.0 to plug anything into.)

4. productofusa

productofusa New Member

Jul 28, 2012
    Hi, sorry for the confusion. I read something about a slingbox being plugged directly into a router to increase throughput. Now I understand the device that was furnished to me by dish is not a sling box, but a sling adapter. I just wondered if it would still work plugged directly into the router instead of DVR.

Sounds like you answered question, pretty much what I thought but worth a shot anyhow.

My router (rt-n66u) does have 2 USB ports that are used for any peripheral device you might see on a network.

Thanks

5. productofusa

productofusa New Member

Jul 28, 2012
    Oh it works pretty good depending on the connection my phone has, I was just trying to eliminate anything between the adapter and router that might slow it down.

Didn't really think it was gonna work but like I said worth a shot.