1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Disk swap

Discussion in 'ViP612/622/722/722K DVR Support Forum' started by Scott150, Mar 6, 2010.

1. Scott150

Scott150 New Member

Mar 6, 2010
    The HDMI connector on my VIP622 is flaky so I had Dish Network send me a new unit. Belatedly I realized that, were I to swap units, I would lose all of the stuff I had recorded via the DVR. May I take the hard drive out of the old unit and put it in the new?

I am technically able to swap disk drives but I'm not sure if the drives are somehow linked to a specific box or not. If I were to swap drives, I assume that I would have to use my old card as well; Yes?

2. phrelin

phrelin Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    You need to activate the external hard drive (EHD) feature on your account (there's a one time charge of $40, but you may be able to get that waived under the circumstances), get a external hard drive (see the External Hard Drives That Work thread), and move the content from your old DVR to the EHD.

3. GrumpyBear

GrumpyBear Hall Of Fame

Feb 1, 2006
    phrelin, has a good point about getting the EHD fee waived. Call in to get the EHD activated and point out, that you are losing your recordings do to the fact Dish has to send you a new reciever to fix your HDMI problem. Be nice, be FIRM, that you shouldn't have to pay for something to save your programs as the root cause is Dish's HDMI problem with your 622. You will still have to buy a EHD, but you will use it more than you would think down the road.

4. lujan

lujan Hall Of Fame

Feb 10, 2004
    The only way I could get it waived is by agreeing to them subtracting $5.00 over the course of 8 months. I guess it's just another way of them keeping their subscribers.

5. GrumpyBear

GrumpyBear Hall Of Fame

Feb 1, 2006
    I know myself as well as others were able to get it activated for free do to a Dish Hardware failure. $5 for 8months isn't bad, unless you planned on leaving, then rather it was free or not, you would have still lost all your recordings.

6. phrelin

phrelin Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    Yes, though once you start archiving movies on your EHD as I have, it will dawn on you that you have to stay with Dish to watch them.:eek2::grin:

7. TulsaOK

TulsaOK New Member

Feb 23, 2004
    I knew it was a conspiracy. :)

8. lujan

lujan Hall Of Fame

Feb 10, 2004
    Yes, but I was planning on leaving them so I think this was one way of keeping me at least for 8 months.:)