1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Distant Broadcast Networks

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by zach21, Jan 1, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jan 1, 2004 #1 of 127
    zach21

zach21 Mentor

Jan 1, 2004
    I'm Desperate for CBS and NBC, so Called Dish Network and asked about distant networks and my waiver got denied so they told me to contact my local stations. Any Advise??? :confused:

2. Jan 1, 2004 #2 of 127
    dfergie

dfergie Hall Of Fame

Feb 27, 2003
    Get on the Dish web site, you can apply for waivers with all of the networks.

3. Jan 1, 2004 #3 of 127
    zach21

zach21 Mentor

Jan 1, 2004
    thanks though
    I have tried i got denied 3 times a friend told me to write or call my tv stations. Anybody done that?

4. Jan 1, 2004 #4 of 127
    dfergie

dfergie Hall Of Fame

Feb 27, 2003
    I talked to my "local" (300 miles away) cbs and got a waiver for cbs. And when I had c-band active, wrote the "local" nbc.

5. Jan 1, 2004 #5 of 127
    zach21

zach21 Mentor

Jan 1, 2004
    Sorry, im stupid could you put that last line in dummy terms.

6. Jan 1, 2004 #6 of 127
    dfergie

dfergie Hall Of Fame

Feb 27, 2003
    I live in southern NM, Albuquerque is in north central NM, they have the broadcast rights and the local translators for us. You can write your local affiliate but the chances are if you can get an acceptable signal , no waiver.

7. Jan 1, 2004 #7 of 127
    jgoggan

jgoggan Hall Of Fame/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Apr 2, 2002
    I live at the bottom of a huge hill -- and I can't pick up anything with an antenna even though I really have tried. By location, I qualify for ABC and NBC waivers automatically. My nearest Fox broadcaster is 45 miles from me -- but I'm actually not in their DMA. For my DMA, the Fox broadcaster is over 65 miles from me. I called the station, explained how far away I was, and Fox gave me a waiver no problem (which I faxed into Dish).

I made the same call to the nearest CBS (also 65 miles away). They transferred me to a recording that says that it is their policy that they will not give you ANY waivers -- and that there wasn't anyone to even talk to about it. Period. Very, very annoying -- and really against the intent of the laws.

My locals just went online (waiting in line for SuperDish -- two month wait) -- so I guess this will all be moot soon. I guess my point is: your luck may vary greatly trying to get waivers. It all comes down to how polite your local affiliates decide to be...

- John...

8. Jan 1, 2004 #8 of 127
    dfergie

dfergie Hall Of Fame

Feb 27, 2003
    try talking to the station engineer if possible

9. Jan 1, 2004 #9 of 127
    JohnH

JohnH Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    If the CBS is Owned and Operated by CBS themselves they have a company policy to deny any waiver requests for locations which have their locals launched on the particular satellite system.

10. Jan 1, 2004 #10 of 127
    jgoggan

Apr 2, 2002
    Well, when I requested the waiver (a year+ ago), they didn't have any locals launched on any satellite system.

Plus, the one I was referring to isn't CBS O&O. I really wish it was -- because they then would allow me to get the CBSHD feed via distants... :)

- John...

11. Jan 1, 2004 #11 of 127
    mattyro

mattyro Legend

Nov 26, 2002
    are you saying a station can be assumed to be an "owned+operated" station if it being carried by a satellite system??-- as far as the topic starter's problem-- he can move to an area where he is eligible for distant networks. the networks play thier games and we play our. we keep heaven stocked with fresh souls and ah.. err.. wrong speech!!

12. Jan 1, 2004 #12 of 127
    jgoggan

Apr 2, 2002
    No. The O&O are a specific set of locations. I think he was just saying that it is CBS policy that IF it is one of the O&O stations AND they are uplinked for locals-over-satellite, then they will not give a waiver -- period.

Mine wasn't O&O and wasn't uplinked -- and they still had that policy: no waivers. Period. :(

Indeed. It's sad that people have to lie to be able to get some channels. Down with the entire DMA system! :hurah:

- John...

13. Jan 1, 2004 #13 of 127
    billpa

billpa Icon

Jul 11, 2003
    If I ran into that kind of attitude I would "move" to a zip code that got me distants just for CBS. You are trying to watch one of the big three networks and they don't want to even TALK to you? That's Crap!

14. Jan 1, 2004 #14 of 127
    lesmoss

lesmoss AllStar

Dec 12, 2003
    But, if the station that "owns" you is CBS O&O (sounds like it is based on their waiver policy), then you automatically qualify for WCBS-DT or KCBS-DT if you have an HD capable receiver and a dish pointed at 61.5 or 148.

That might be your way around the waiver problem.

15. Jan 1, 2004 #15 of 127
    jgoggan

Apr 2, 2002
    If you mean me -- which I think you do -- then, as I said, the station that "owns" me is not CBS O&O. They just have a lame policy for waivers.

Yes, that's why I said that I wish they were CBS O&O so that I could get the distant HD feed. Unfortunately, they aren't.

- John...

16. Jan 1, 2004 #16 of 127
    JohnH

JohnH Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    One should be aware that there are NFL blackouts on the CBS HD channels, while it likely will not affect the playoffs, it certainly did the regular season in some areas.

17. Jan 1, 2004 #17 of 127
    jgoggan

Apr 2, 2002
    Indeed -- for those that are into sports. I actually don't watch any -- I even have the ESPN channels not in my Favorites lists. :)

We've been living without CBS for two years now -- so no biggie if we continue to do so (although, we'll get it when the SuperDish goes in in February, as I said). I just wanted some HD content now and then...

- John...

18. Jan 1, 2004 #18 of 127
    Nick

Nick Retired, part-time PITA DBSTalk Club

Apr 23, 2002
    The...
    What the 20 million+ DBS subscribers need is a national voice to effectively deal with some of the archaic and inequitable laws, regulations and rules that govern what we can and can't receive via satellite. The SHVIA went a long way toward levelling the playing field between cable and DBS, but it's time to "improve" the Satellite Home Viewers Improvement Act to allow DBS subs to receive what they want to watch.

I strongly resist all efforts to limit what I watch and where I get it from. I still receive ATL locals even though I moved some 300 miles away to the Georgia coast over a year ago.

The local cable carries both Jacksonville and Savannah locals. It makes no sense that I am only eligible for Jacksonville FL locals via DBS when I live in Georgia and given the choice, would prefer Savannah locals. I live only a few miles on the "wrong" side of the arbitrary Nielson DMA line between the SAV DMA and the JAX DMA.

It's time for DBS subs to make our voices heard in the halls of Congress.

19. Jan 2, 2004 #19 of 127
    And it's Charlie Ergen, he's fought incredible hard to secure us the right to watch any network show from any market. The technology exists at a price the huge majority of us can afford. The only thing stopping us is our own government.

Local stations have incredible power over "elected" officials. They provide the free-air time when they're back home visiting the folks under the guise of appearances on newscast.

But if they don't support broadcasters and moronic organizations like the NAB, they don't get the air-time.

The enemy is our own government.

20. Jan 2, 2004 #20 of 127
    shilton

shilton Godfather

Nov 20, 2002
    Good luck. I live literally in a Valley and an area totally surrounded by trees. I tried antennas to no avail...but the local affiliates (which are over 50+ miles away) pulled out topographical maps and according to their engineer, a signal "should be possible" in my area so they denied. If I wanted to do anything else, I could hire a tester OF THEIR CHOICE to come to my house and test signal strength. This test would cost about $200.00 and since they choose, the translation is I would have failed! Needless to say, I am just holding out, as after 2 years of waiting, my locals are supposed to launch on Jan. 15th. Good luck...but seems to me that most affiliates have strict NO WAIVER policies.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.