1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Distant Networks Buzz on Dish forum

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Programming' started by Msguy, Jun 11, 2009.

1. Msguy

Msguy Hall Of Fame

May 22, 2003
    I just visited the Dish Network Forum and there seems to be Major Buzz going on over there about Distant Network Services in HD that will be available to them this coming Saturday and they are saying the channels will be in HD! Are DirecTv customers going to be able to start getting Distant Networks? What caught my attention is one of the Feeds that you could subscribe to is Chicago Feeds. That Caught my eye HEAVILY because I would LOVE to have Chicago Local Channels. I Would almost leave DirecTv for the Chicago Locals. Anyone know anything about this with some in depth insight?

2. JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon Hall Of Fame

Jul 21, 2008
    will they be able to show Chicago land only sports?

as wgn does have a few chicago only games and wciu has them as well.

3. Msguy

Msguy Hall Of Fame

May 22, 2003
    I don't know. But hell if I could receive Chicago Locals in HD. I'd move to that service provider immediately. I am originally from Chicago and I wish I could get the Chicago Locals on DirecTv. If Dish gets Chicago Locals i'd very seriously consider switching. I order NFL Sunday Ticket and MLB Extra Innings just so I can view Chicago ball games. But if i could get every Bears game from Chicago TV i would not need Sunday Ticket anymore and for baseball i'd probably keep DirecTv for the Cubs.

4. evan_s

evan_s Hall Of Fame

Mar 3, 2008
    The simple facts are Dish doesn't provide distant networks at all. It can't be cause it was found to be abusing the option by offering it to people who didn't qualify and lost it's ability to provide them. The distants are now provided by a second company that leases some tp space from dish and they seem to be well on their way to doing the same thing.

If you have a local channel in your market you can not receive a distant network unless you are incapable of receiving an OTA signal. If you can receive a signal you need to get a waiver to get a distant network but it's not likely.

5. PA GIANTS FAN

PA GIANTS FAN AllStar

Mar 28, 2009
    Frackville PA
    Dish does offer what they call super stations they are:
    KWGN-Denver
    KTLA-L. A.
    WPIX-N.Y.
    WWOR-N.Y.
    WSBK-Boston

6. ziggy29

ziggy29 Icon

Nov 18, 2004
    San Antonio DMA
    I suspect it's mostly heat and little light. More than likely, this is an assumption that more people will qualify for distant locals because they could get the analog signal but not the digital.