1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Distributing HR-20 HD?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by sNEIRBO, Nov 26, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sNEIRBO

sNEIRBO Icon

Jul 23, 2006
    I landed one of the Target $199 LCD HDTV w/ DVD on Friday as a replacement for my bedroom TV. Now I want it to be feed HD programming.

Is anyone successfully distributing their HD output from an HR20? If so, how?

My current setup on the HR20 is this -
    HDMI out to my 65" Sony HDTV
    RCA 1 out to a wireless AV sender to the under cabinet TV in the Kitchen

My HD DVD player is hooked up to the Sony via HDMI as well.

I found a 2x1 Component switcher online for $99.
    I can get 100' of Component cable for $85 online.

I could run components out of the HR20 and my HD DVD player into the switch, then run a component into the bedroom to connect to the new HDTV. I would need around 85' of component to get from the entertainment center to the bedroom. Would there be drastic signal loss/degradation via component over that distance?

I'm not concerned about both TVs having to watch the same thing, so this set up would be about $100 cheaper than a second HR20, plus another $5/month ($120 over 2 years) cheaper since I could return my R15 and save that mirror fee.

Any help/insight/experiences would be appreciated.

2. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    I have no experience with this but I would think distributing HDMI over a distance like that would be better than distributing component. You'd get audio and video in one wire and the signal loss would be less significant with a digital signal, I'd think.

Check monoprice.com for longer HDMI cables.

3. sNEIRBO

sNEIRBO Icon

Jul 23, 2006
    Gotta stick with the Component for the bedroom - I pass the HDMIs through the Yamaha AVR for the HD DVD Dolby 7.1 TrueHD, and NO HDMI on the back of the new LCD.

4. texasbrit

texasbrit Well-Known Member

Aug 9, 2006
    HDMI over long distances is actually more of a problem than component, because the HDMI standard was not really designed for long distances - the digital signals lose their integrity. Some HDMI cables will deliver decent signals at 100ft, depending on the quality of the signals output from the DirecTV receiver, but you usually need to use a repeater (equalizer). Component video will nearly always be OK at 100ft with the right cable.

5. Stuart Sweet

Jun 18, 2006
    Thanks, texasbrit! Always nice to learn something new on a Monday morning.

6. jwasilko

jwasilko Cool Member

Nov 2, 2007
    Intelix makes baluns that let you run audio/video over cat-5 cable. I've never used them for HD, but I have used them for svideo and digital audio.

They can get component video and digital audio over 1 4-pr cat-5 cable:

I tried to post the URL for the balun, but the forums won't let me. If you google for:

site:intelix.com hd balun

you'll find the right thing.

-jeff

7. captdusty

captdusty Mentor

Jul 13, 2006
    Maryland
    I'm sending HD component video over about 80' of CAT5 using a pair of the intellix baluns. It feeds my HR20 to a 20" LCD in my kitchen. It works surprisingly well with no noticeable degradation. But you'll need a second run of CAT5 and additional baluns for audio. It all starts to add up a bit, price-wise.

8. holtzd

holtzd Cool Member

Jul 30, 2007
    Will the HR20 output via the HDMI and component at the same time? Some devices won't. Would need this if you used the HDMI for the TV in the living room and feed the TV in the bedroom with component.

9. davring

davring Hall Of Fame

Jan 13, 2007
    All outputs are active at the same time.

10. sNEIRBO

sNEIRBO Icon

Jul 23, 2006
    Baluns might be the way to go. I've found a couple of sites that have them for around $35 each, $70 for a pair for the component video. The RCA stereo audio baluns are going from $25 to $44 each. I'm looking at around $120 for baluns plus 200' of Cat5e (relatively cheap) and an afternoon of wiring.

Then I can cancel one of the other 2 DVRs I have, saving at least the cost of the baluns over the next 2 years in mirroring fees.

11. spartanstew

spartanstew Dry as a bone

Nov 16, 2005
    Wylie, Texas
    Doesn't the AVO-V3AD-F carry audio and video on the same CAT5 line?

12. sNEIRBO

sNEIRBO Icon

Jul 23, 2006
    Yes, but it's digital audio. I did find a balun that carried Component and Analog audio (R/W) but it was over $200 for the pair. Just cheaper to use a Component Video and an Analog Audio balun and pull the second run of Cat5.

13. sNEIRBO

sNEIRBO Icon

Jul 23, 2006
    Well I just made the mistake of connecting the 19" LCD to my HR20 via a small Component Cable I had lying around - just to check to see how good the picture looked . . . now I want to scratch my eyes out when I see it connected to the TiVo!!!!!

I just order 100' of 5 in 1 Component Cable - I'll be running that this weekend to connect the new TV to the HR-20!!!

14. stiffi

stiffi Legend

Jul 13, 2006
    I've done a similar thing with my HR20.

I ran 100 feet of component cable with (2 extra composite heads for audio) to my smaller TV. I don't have digital audio on the smaller TV, but the cable was all in 1 piece, and only about $25 from monoprice.

15. sNEIRBO

sNEIRBO Icon

Jul 23, 2006
    I got 100' of the 5 in 1 RCA Component Cable for $35 online this afternoon. I had to pay $14 to get it delivered FedEX 2nd Day Air so it will be here by the weekend - but I think $50 instead of $300 for a second HR20 is well worth the investment!!

You said you're running 100' also . . . do you have any signal loss issues?? Is the picture just as good as if it was sitting right next to the HR20?

I'm definitely going to hook the cable up across the floors to check the PQ before I bother running it through the chase in the basement. No sense doing all the work then finding out the PQ stinks over that length of a wire run.

The place I bought from says on their site that the component they sell is rated up to 250' with "minimal signal loss" and up to 500' with "acceptable signal loss". I'm hoping I'll be good with the 100' run.

16. Mike728

Mike728 Icon

Oct 29, 2007
    WTH did I miss? :confused:

17. sNEIRBO

sNEIRBO Icon

Jul 23, 2006
    Yeah, yeah, I know :rolleyes:

I said I would never put an HDTV in my bedroom BUT . . . when I was looking at paying $320 for a 20" LCD SDTV widescreen w/ DVD or getting a 19" LCD HDTV w/ DVD for $199 the choice to NOT put an HDTV in my bedroom didn't make sense. It wasn't about the technology, it was about the wallet at that point.

I'll eat the crow now . . . but I'll do it while watching my new HDTV!! :new_smili

18. Stuart Sweet

Jun 18, 2006
    sNEIRBO, I grant you a pass on eating that crow, because you made the right call in moving to HDTV. Just because you didn't expect it to be the right call financially doesn't mean you'll have to suffer.

19. Milominderbinder2

Milominderbinder2 Cutting Edge: ECHELON '08

Oct 8, 2006
  20. sNEIRBO

sNEIRBO Icon

Jul 23, 2006
    I'll gladly take that pass! I'm sick of fowl after all the damned Turkey that had to be eaten this past weekend! :lol:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.