1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

DIVX DVD players

Discussion in 'HDTV Equipment (Closed Forum)' started by Danny R, May 4, 2005.

1. Danny R

Danny R Goblin the Pug DBSTalk Gold Club

Jul 5, 2002
    The DIVX website has a section on DIVX certified DVD players. Does anyone have any experience with these? Is a hardware solution a better option than just using a DIVX player running from a computer?

The following player looks interesting:

http://www.divx.com/hardware/detail.php?p=118&mainhwpromo=BuffaloPCP3LWG

The website has other players, but I need something that can read both +R and -R DVD types. This one also pulls from a computer wirelessly, which is a plus.

2. Cholly

Cholly Old Guys Rule!

Mar 22, 2004
    Indian...
    Check out the RCA DRC240N -- available at Best Buy for $79.99

3. theslag

theslag Cool Member

Oct 14, 2004
    I have a Phillips and its great...I got it at Bestbuy for 69 bucks. It plays everything i toss at it.

4. thevoice

thevoice AllStar

Sep 24, 2002
    I would make sure that you get a player that has decoder abilities to do Qpel, GMC and Bframe (most 3/4 gen models - Mediatek
    1389 / Amlogic 3288 / New Sigma). I know the newer ones that have this ability, also let you fast forward "on the fly" vs most of the 1st and 2nd gen ones that can't do this because of decoder limitations..

5. cdru

cdru Hall Of Fame

Dec 4, 2003
    Personally I prefer an Xbox with a modchip and XBMC. I keep all my videos on my PC upstairs and use WDS between two WRT54GS routers for the network connectivity.

XBMC plays divx without problems at full DVD resolution without a hiccup as well as just about every other video format you can throw at it. It's essentially a hack of mplayer from Linux. Plus you get the avantage of having a decent gaming system as well.

6. thevoice

thevoice AllStar

Sep 24, 2002
    I agree, I myself like to upconvert my video's to 720p. I also think the ultimate solution would be an XBOX with XBMP/XBMC! If you are looking for merely a standalone, may want to go for something with the Mediatek 1389 chipset.

7. Cholly

Cholly Old Guys Rule!

Mar 22, 2004
    Indian...
    Did a little checking, and was surprised to find that my local Wal-Mart has both a Philips DIVX compatible DVD player, and an upconverting Cyberhome DVD player (for $89!). Fascinating!