1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DIY Home Streaming

Discussion in 'IPTV Hardware' started by binarymirror, Mar 19, 2012.

1. binarymirror

binarymirror New Member

Sep 17, 2012
    Anyone have expierience with any of the DIY home streaming boxes - such as HDHomeRun, PCTV Broadway, or Vulkano (I'm sure there are others).

PCTV Broadway seems to have the options I'm looking for - mainly the ability to stream from more than one source. All can stream to a computer, and some can stream to smart phones / tablets.

Some (like the HDHomeRun) have two tuners, allowing two computers to watch independent channels.

Price range seems to be a little above or below $100.

Any recommendations, feedback, or advice is appreciated.

Thanks, C

2. oldschoolecw

oldschoolecw HarpoonIPA

Jan 25, 2007
    Halifax, MA
    I don't have any experience with any of those, but please let us know what you decide on and if it works out

3. ozonedan

ozonedan Legend

Dec 27, 2005
    I've used the HDHomeRun when I had my laptop hooked up to my TV for OTA television. And it worked great. ( I was using it until I decided what I was going to do with Directv.) I am not familiar with the other equipment.

4. David Bott

David Bott Administrator Staff Member Administrator

Jul 12, 2005
    Traveling...
    I use 4 HDHomeruns. Yes 4. They are the older series with two tuners and work great! Why so many? All I use in my home are Media Center PC's. So, all my DVR recording are done by the media centers and the tuners are split between them. (We have 4 media centers.) Then they share the shows between them.

All in all, the HDHomerun is a great product, great support, and has been around for a long time.

5. oldschoolecw

oldschoolecw HarpoonIPA

Jan 25, 2007
    Halifax, MA
    What does the guide look like? And is it as simple as a cable or Dish guide to setup season passes with?
    Thanks

6. binarymirror

binarymirror New Member

Sep 17, 2012
    After some searching/digging, I found enough information to make a decision based on my needs/wants

No device found fits every want/need, but then that's life.

Here are some comments and links to those devices I found that can stream home video.

HDHomeRun

Has one input with two internal tuners - did not fit my needs since I was looking to stream more than OTA or

cable channels. You can apparently have several of these on your network (see comments above). It also

seems to play well with Media Center (again, see comments above).

http://reviews.cnet.com/video-players-and-recorders/silicondust-hdhomerun-dual/4505-6463_7-35112434.html

Vulkano

No NTSC input, all input appears to be thru RCA plugs - no cable connection - recording to USB requires

special formating of USB drive, making it incompatible with Windows file format.

http://reviews.cnet.com/video-players-and-recorders/monsoon-vulkano-flow/4505-6463_7-34542945.html

Hauppauge Broadway HD

RCA input for video and audio, plus cable input, plus S-Video input. Also has WiFi. Has a built-in web

server, so no expensive clients to purchase. They promise a future record option through USB port - hope

they deliver on their promise - also hope it delivers to a USB drive and not one more piece of their

equipment - but this was not a show stopper for me.

http://www.engadget.com/2012/02/23/hauppauge-broadway-review/

Slingbox

From personal experience, tech support will not even talk to you unless you Pay first. I now own a non

working red brick because I will not play their game. It is also the reason I did not choose Slingbox.

http://reviews.cnet.com/video-players-and-recorders/sling-media-slingbox-solo/4505-6463_7-32625233.html?

tag=mncol;rvwBody

The Broadway seemed to come closer to what I am looking for so I ordered it.

If you find errors in my observations, just chalk it up to my being human.

Will provide my findings/review of the Broadway in a later update...........