1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Django Unchained

Discussion in 'The Movies' started by Rich, Apr 20, 2013.

1. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Just watched Django Unchained and it is one of the best Civil War era movies (or Westerns) I've ever seen. Might be the best.

Rich

2. bmetelsky

bmetelsky Cool Member

Feb 28, 2009
    I just saw it as well. I agree 100%. It was a great movie!

3. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    I had been trying to find this at redbox, gave up. Just going to get it on demand. Became a Christoph Waltz fan with Inglorious Basterds, knew I'd need to see this one.

4. Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Doctor Whom Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    I bought this on Tuesday because Target had a Blu-ray steelbook exclusive + a bonus disc... I am a Quentin Tarantino fan, like good westerns, and like many of the actors in the movie... so I figured it was a good blind buy.

5. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    I made a mistake in my OP. The movie is set in the pre-Civil War South. I think I'll go buy a BD version of this. I don't think I've ever bought a BD version of anything. That's a measure of how good the movie is. Not sure what ages are recommended for this movie, but it's got a lot of violence (a whole lot of violence) and the N-word is used constantly.

Rich

6. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Don't see how Jamie Foxx couldn't get an Academy Award for Best Actor and don't see how Chris Waltz couldn't get an Academy Award for Best Actor. Both are so good it should be a dual award, I think.

Best movie I've seen in years.

Rich

7. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Tarantino outdid himself with this one. I like all his movies, but this one is special. I think.

Rich

8. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    Yeah, there wasn't a "lead". Waltz really wasn't a supporting actor, neither was Foxx. Supporting nominees run the gamut in screen time. Judi Dench won for 8 minutes in 1998, Anthny Hopkins for 17 (but what a 17 minutes it was).

I've read that Will Smith was the first choice for Django, but turned it down since he didn't consider it the lead role. I've liked some things he's been in, but glad it ended up going to fox, just like I'm glad Smith turned down Matrix for Wild Wild West. Liked Keanu in that role, at least the first movie,

9. spartanstew

spartanstew Dry as a bone

Nov 16, 2005
    Wylie, Texas
    Um, it's a Tarentino movie.

10. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    One good thing with Tarentino, you know what you'll get when seeing one of his movies.

11. TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol Hall Of Fame

Oct 1, 2003
    Phoenix, AZ
    I saw it at the theater, great movie.