1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DLB Howto?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by Bizarroterl, Sep 13, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bizarroterl

Bizarroterl Legend

Oct 20, 2006
    I searched and I can't find a howto on using the DLB feature. I probably could have eventually, but I don't want to sort through a half dozen 50+ page threads. So,

Is there a DLB how to?

I can start DLB, but I can't figure out how to control the 2 channels. One of them always stays at channel 2.

2. cadet502

cadet502 FHNSAB DBSTalk Club

Jun 17, 2005
    Don't know about a how to, but how about this.

Watching 206, press the down button.
    If Double Play is not acitve you get the nag screen to press down again to confirm.
    If active, it will just switch tuners.
    tune to channel 209.
    press down, you will switch back to 206 buffer should be intact.
    Press down, you will switch back to 209 buffer should be intact.
    tune to 607, it will change to 607 and start a new buffer.
    press down, you will switch back to 206, and all original buffer should be intact.
    press down, it will switch back to 607 and buffer intact from original.

Remember, to switch tuners, always use the down button.
    PREV will swap previous channels ON THAT TUNER ONLY.

Hope that helps.

3. David MacLeod

David MacLeod New Member

Jan 29, 2008
    think the last statement is the key here for the OP.

4. gnahc79

gnahc79 Godfather

Jan 11, 2008
  5. Bizarroterl

Bizarroterl Legend

Oct 20, 2006
    Cadet502,
    Thanks, I'll give it a try.

I did view the video but I couldn't get it to work.

I'll post back what I find.

6. Doug Brott

Doug Brott Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Jul 12, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Press & Hold the {INFO} key.

Software version must be 0x34c (or higher)

If you have 0x312, then DoublePlay will not work yet. Use the workaround and record two games and switch between the two using the {PREV} button. Then delete the recordings when you are done with them.

This is not quite as good as DoublePlay, but should get you through today.

7. Bizarroterl

Bizarroterl Legend

Oct 20, 2006
    OK, I got it to work. The problem I was having was with using 2 tuners. Here's my personal DoublePlay for Dummies:

To turn on DoublePlay press the down arrow on the remote. If your receiver beeps then it hasn't been updated yet with the DoublePlay software. If it does have the DoublePlay software it will display a message indicating that pressing the down arrow again will initiate double play. Press the down arrow again.

You now have control over which of the 2 tuners you're viewing. Pressing the down arrow will toggle between them. There is no onscreen indicator as to which tuner you're on.

Use the guide, channel up/down or enter the channel you want to view. This is now the current channel for the tuner you're on. Press the down arrow to select the other tuner.

Use the guide, channel up/down or enter the channel you want to view.

You can now switch between the two using the down arrow. Each can be paused/rewind/etc. If you pause and switch to the other tuner and then swith back the channel will come off pause (the assumption is when you switch back you want to start viewing immediately).

It is important to understand that changing a channel using the guide, Prev, channel up/down, etc changes the channel for that tuner and doesn't affect the other tuner.

Each tuner buffers 90 minutes of content.

NOTE: DO NOT use the Prev button. If you do, the receiver will switch to the previous channel for that tuner. This will clear the buffer on that tuner, losing any buffered content. It will not affect what you have buffered on the other tuner.

DoublePlay will turn off after 2 hours of inactivity (no remote usage). If you have a recording scheduled it will notify you that it will need to change the turner to the record channel and you can tell it to not record if you choose to do so.

Please let me know if anything above is incorrect.

8. Doug Brott

Jul 12, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Bizarroterl I think you have it.

9. ThomasM

ThomasM RF Engineer

Jul 20, 2007
    Milwaukee, WI
    Well, almost....

If you don't toggle the tuners using the down arrow for 2 hours doubleplay will turn itself off. It does not matter if you browse the guide, schedule future recordings, use trickplay on the current tuner, change your favorites list, etc. It wants to know you are actively USING doubleplay.

10. Doug Brott

Jul 12, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Incorrect .. You do not have to use {DOWN ARROW} at all. You only have to use any button on the remote (volume buttons don't count). If you use any trick play button (include {PLAY}) the 2-hour timer restarts. This basically means that as long as you are using the remote DoublePlay will stay active.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.