1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DLB Implementation

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by jimb726, Feb 24, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jimb726

jimb726 Icon

Jan 9, 2007
    OK, forgive me if someone mentioned this already, but I recall in one of the other guys threads about DLB's that the big question they could come up with in dditionto the fact of how, was how would we be able to jump from tuner to tuner. Interestingly enough, I know the answer. I had previously posted about having problems with the remote (RC34) that came with my HR20. Well about the same time I began having problems with my "peanut" so when I called in to protectionplan they sent me two RC32 remotes. Both wrong, go figure. Anyhow, the RC32 specifically says it wont program with a Tivo dvr. So when I called to complain that I got the wrong remote this morning, the CSR, (very good, I might add) wanted me to try a code anyhow. Well lo and behold the code she gave me worked my Tivo, and the second remote works my Hitachi, but no RF, different story. So after getting it working I specifically ask the girl how to switch tuners, al you do is press info button and it opens a window that allows you to select a tuner. Maybe not as easy as a single button push to toggle, but no worse than having to hit guide twice to get the guide (since fixed, I know). So FWIW, that doesnt seem to be a hinderance now either. Just thought I would pass it on to start fanning the flames for JayW.:lol:

Regards,
    Jim

2. DishDog

DishDog ke6cdn

Nov 10, 2006
    San Diego Area
    Sounds interesting but not clear on "press info button" suggestion. Do you have to be in a particular screen for it to work?

3. cruise350

cruise350 Legend

Dec 24, 2006
    That only works on his hr10-250, not the hr20!!

4. Doug Brott

Doug Brott Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Jul 12, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Yeah, that's a TiVo function. It is possible that DirecTV could use similar functionality, but TiVo probably has that patented, too.

5. Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    One of the lesser known Tivo Patents is the "Four Primary Color Button" patent. (I forget the number.) It actually was a patent held by a tiny company fpcb who tried to break into the remote control market, but failed. Tivo bought them for a song just for the portfolio of patents. (In other words, one.)

Anyway, the whole reason DIRECTV extended the agreement with Tivo was to have access to the "Four Primary Color Button" which as everyone knows is very prominent on the new DIRECTV remote controls: RED, GREEN, YELLOW, and BLUE.

At first, DIRECTV hoped that the actual patent was not going to apply as it specified the buttons as GREEN, YELLOW, BLUE, then RED, but in a momentous decision, the US Patent office upheld Tivo's claim that the order did not matter...

Have I BS'd enough on this topic? :D

Cheers,
    Tom
    (See what happens when I refrain from posting for a day while I write a parody song...) :)

6. n3ntj

n3ntj Hall Of Fame

Dec 18, 2006
    Lancaster,...
    If D* wants to implement a DLB function, they can simply do the same thing the current H10 Tivo unit does for switching b/w Sat inputs.. use the DOWN ARROW BUTTON. I don't think this button does anything on the current HR20 unless you have a guide or other menu on the screen.

7. jimb726

jimb726 Icon

Jan 9, 2007
    It only works on my HR10 this way. I only brought this up because one of the questions brought up in the numerous other posts concerning DLB's was the lack of a button to switch from tuner to tuner. When D* sent me the RC-32 as the replacement remote for my Tivo my immediate concern was how do I switch from tuner to tuner. The CSR's immediate answer was the info button and select your tuner.

Jim

8. DishDog

DishDog ke6cdn

Nov 10, 2006
    San Diego Area
    Well that clears it up. Thanks Jim.

Pete

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.