1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DMA: Flint, MI

Discussion in 'DISH™ OTA Support and Discussion Forum' started by cummingsje, Apr 22, 2007.

1. cummingsje

cummingsje AllStar

Mar 23, 2007
    5-01 WNEM (HD) CBS Yes
    5-02 WNEM MYTV Yes
    5-03 WNEM MYTV Yes
    12-01 WJRT (HD) ABC Yes
    12-02 WJRT Weather Yes
    12-03 WJRT 24hr News Yes
    19-01 WDCQ (HD) PBS Yes
    19-02 WDCQ PBS Yes
    19-03 WDCQ PBS Yes
    19-04 WDCQ PBS Yes
    25-01 WEYI (HD) NBC Yes
    25-02 WEYI CW Yes
    28-01 WFUM (HD) PBS Yes
    28-02 WFUM PBS No
    66-01 WSMH (HD) FOX Yes

2. May 2, 2007 #2 of 14
    elmc

elmc AllStar

Jan 6, 2005
    mi
    Just wondering if anyone else in the flint area hears a delay in the audio from NBC 25-01. I only get it from a OTA HD broadcast. No other channels do this.

3. May 2, 2007 #3 of 14
    cummingsje

cummingsje AllStar

Mar 23, 2007
    Yes. I get that as well. I believe it is a local problem as I have watched the OTA NBC locals from Jackson and Detroit and haven't noticed it.

4. May 9, 2007 #4 of 14
    elmc

elmc AllStar

Jan 6, 2005
    mi
    I urge anyone who has this same problem with WEYI to email them and let them know. They are ignoring me.

5. May 9, 2007 #5 of 14
    bwest602

bwest602 New Member

Jan 14, 2006
    I live in Midland and receive WEYI NBC 25-01 with about an 80% signal strength, I have not experienced the audio delay using my VIP622 nor using my tv's built-in tuner. I'm not using an HDMI connection, if that matters.

I do experience problems with WJRT ABC 12-01 with frequent audio drop outs and more recently, loss of signal/extreme pixelation/frozen video on my VIP622 (which also leads to bad DVR recordings). My tv's built-in tuner does not have this problem (I have a Sony KDF-55WF655). I receive a nearly 100% signal strength for ABC 12-01. My brother, also from Midland, has the same problem with this channel on his VIP622 and does not experience the problem with his tv's built-in tuner.

Does anyone else have the same problem with this channel on the 622 or any other Dish receiver?

6. cummingsje

cummingsje AllStar

Mar 23, 2007
    Yes. WJRT started giving me the same problem about a month ago. However, I was experiencing it on my Olevia 32" digital tuner as well as the 622. I e-mailed the engineers at channel 12 and was told their test equipment showed no problems. They asked for my antenna set-up which I gave them and they said they would "look into it". I haven't heard back after about 2 weeks.

7. elmc

elmc AllStar

Jan 6, 2005
    mi
    My mother, sister, and I all experience the WJRT problems with our 622s. It started with the software updates (4.03). My mother does not experience any problem with WJRT on her TVs built in tuner.

The audio delay problem is almost not noticable, I had to point it out to some, but others who have been here cant watch it. It is less than a second and almost right on, but not quite. I only watch SNL, Office, Earl, some late night and have expereinced it on all 100% of the time.

8. cummingsje

cummingsje AllStar

Mar 23, 2007

I recently sent them an e-mail and the following represents responses from the station. I have also sent a reply back explaining we don't receive their digital channel via E* programming.

[Add to Address Book]

To:<cummingsje@comcast.net>, <publicfile@nbc25.net>
    Subject:RE: WEYI contact us submission - Programming
    Date:Friday, May 25, 2007 8:37:24 AM
    [View Source]

Jeff Cummings
    The delay is caused by the significant video processing that happens now with digital television. The delay is caused when the video image is process and converted between analog and digital formats. Since many stations have a variety of technologies for gathering video feeds (live, satellite, microwave, tape, etc) every time the image is processed it is delayed as compared to the audio. This problem is universal among all stations broadcasting a digial signal. Sometimes we are able to delay the audio to match the amount of video delay. The delay is compounted when multiple pieces of equipment are used. We have made great effort to match the audio and video for the broadcast signals as they leave the station.
    It is possible that the same issue is affecting our signal from the point that DIRECT and DISH pick up our signal, relay it to their uplink and then back down to the subscribers. I have no way to monitor Dish or Direct at our facility and we rely that Dish and Direct operating pursuant to FCC guidelinds and as such.

JB

-----Original Message-----
    From: form_submission@barringtontv.com [mailto:form_submission@barringtontv.com]
    Sent: Wednesday, May 09, 2007 9:35 PM
    To: jbengtso@nbc25.net; mkreiner@nbc25.net; jreinarz@nbc25.net; dshafer@nbc25.net; kpetzold@nbc25.net
    Subject: WEYI contact us submission - Programming

Name: Jeff Cummings

Phone: 810-496-0335

E-mail: cummingsje@comcast.net

I currently receive your Digital channel (HDTV) over the air via a Dish Network receiver (VIP622) and a Olevia 32" LCD HDTV. While watching HD programming I notice a definite audio lag (lip synch) with the video. I also receive Channel 10 from Jackson and Channel 4 from Detroit and have not noticed this issue. I was hoping this would be something you might look into. I have visited a couple of online forums where other individuals have noticed the same issue. Any feedback you could give would be greatly appreciated as I would really love to watch my local NBC station vs. a Detroit or Jackson station.

9. Aug 6, 2007 #9 of 14
    cummingsje

cummingsje AllStar

Mar 23, 2007
    It looks like the problem we were experiencing may have been corrected at Channel 12. I watched it a couple of times the past few days and have not had any audio/video dropouts. Anyone else see this as corrected?

10. elmc

elmc AllStar

Jan 6, 2005
    mi
    I have been out-of-town, but my parents told me that channel 12 was fixed, maybe it was the new software. I will try to catch something on 12.

11. cummingsje

cummingsje AllStar

Mar 23, 2007
    Its been a week and Channel 12 still looks good!! Now if Channel 25 could fix their "lip-synch" problem we'd be all set!

12. bwest602

bwest602 New Member

Jan 14, 2006
    Anyone else notice that WSMH FOX digital 66.1 has not been broadcasting for several days? Analog seems fine. The digital channel is showing a signal strength on my HD set's tuner and on my ViP 622 ... but it's just a black screen. Are they making repairs/modifications to their digital equipment?

13. cummingsje

cummingsje AllStar

Mar 23, 2007
    Yes, it's been "on and off" for the past several days. I'm assuming they are having some troubles with their digital equipment but I haven't heard anything official.

14. cummingsje

cummingsje AllStar

Mar 23, 2007
    I get three different sets of locals OTA and experience the most problems with Flint locals (my DMA).

1. Channel 25 has terrible lip-synch issues.
    2. Channel 12 seems to have finally gotten everything right.
    3. Channel 5 sometimes doesn't show programming in HD that other CBS affiliates do.
    4. Channel 66 is "on again, off again" quite frequently.

Lansing OTA local NBC Channel 10 has sound quality issues (sounds very tinny).