1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

dns pricing

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by celticpride, Mar 24, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. celticpride

celticpride Icon

Sep 6, 2006
    I noticed directv charged me $1.99 for each NY DNS feed now, it use to be $1.50 each for me (grandfathered) so did the price go up? or is this a mistake?

:confused:

2. Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich Lifetime Achiever

Nov 15, 2005
    Did you make any changes to your account, that could have changed your grandfathering state?

It is also possible that they removed the grandfathering pricing.

3. DBSNewbie

DBSNewbie Icon

Nov 3, 2007
    Out of curiosity, how are you able to get NY DNS feeds, being that you are in California?

I've contacted D* about DNS waivers every now and then, and I get denied each time.

4. curt8403

curt8403 Hall Of Fame

Dec 27, 2007
    yes, prices went up

5. convem24

convem24 Icon

Mar 11, 2007
    DBSNewbie celticpride probably has a grandfather clause to get the East Coast DNS. Typically customers before the 2000s got them because customers wanted network affiliates and Directv at that time did not have local channels. Now that Directv offers locals to 94% of standard def markets and 75% of HD markets it is much harder to get waivers. I know people that do but it is almost impossible with the FCC rules and the fact that that Dish Network can no longer give DNS feeds to their customers. It is very interesting to say the very least.

6. jodyguercio

jodyguercio Active Member

Aug 16, 2007
    He may live in an RV and travel the country and has requested the NY area DNS feeds.

7. curt8403

curt8403 Hall Of Fame

Dec 27, 2007
    RVs would have dual feed NY/LA but good point

8. blc

blc Legend

Sep 29, 2007
    Yes, went up to $3 for each if you get both east and west, for a total of $12 if you get all four networks from NY and LA. They do apparently still give a little discount for both east and west--in this case $1 per network discount.

9. chdoud

chdoud Legend

Jan 15, 2008
    Correct.... Mine went up this month to $12.00 for networks and a separate $1.99 for PBS

10. celticpride

celticpride Icon

Sep 6, 2006
    I have been with directv since 1995,back then we didnt get locals networks out of los angeles so they let me pay for east coast network feeds. later when we did get the locals out of L.A. i was grandfathered into being able to get both east and west coast networks.

11. Doug Brott

Doug Brott Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Jul 12, 2006
    Los Angeles
    celticpride,

I may be incorrect, but I believe that grandfathering expires on the DTV transition day next February. You will likely lose your East Coast feeds at that time.

12. blc

blc Legend

Sep 29, 2007
    If I remember properly the sunset for "subparagraph (e) subscribers" is Dec. 31, 2009. I believe most grandfathered subscribers that live within a grade b signal and are grandfathered from before 2000 are "subparagraph (e) subscribers." I have noticed that Directv csrs of all levels seem to use the term "grandfathered" rather loosely for anyone that has had DNS for an extended period of time, so who knows just which subscribers will lose DNS if those same employees are in charge of shutting off "grandfathered" subscribers. Grandfathered subscribers seems to have a much narrower interpretation in the statutes and FCC rulings and regs.

I know that many have discussed the fact that the digital transition may cut off the SD NY and LA DNS in Feb. 2009 (and it very well may), but it looks like the FCC has provided the green light for Directv to downgrade those digital feeds if need be. I am not sure whether NY and LA have direct feeds to Directv (someone may know) but I would think because of their importance that they probably do. In which case the digital conversion may have little effect on those SD feeds as they would not be broadcast over the air to Directv for rebroadcast. Thus, theorectically, it could be argued that NY and LA feeds could continue as they are.

At any rate, I don't think Directv is going to be shutting down the 380's in Feb. 2009--especially with the new permission from the FCC to downconvert signals. I could be totally wrong though, a good reason to get HD DNS if you haven't and you can qualify for them--just in case those SD 380's do go dark and you really need them. Moreover, there are still a lot of subscribers with only SD equipment receiving DNS by waiver, grandfathered status, RV waiver, etc. That is not revenue Directv wants to give up. After all, the DNS revenue is pure gravy.

13. celticpride

celticpride Icon

Sep 6, 2006
    I only wish they ha let us keep the HD version of the channels since we pay for them anyway. I hope we can still keep them after feb. 2009, i guess i'll just have to wait and see.

14. curt8403

curt8403 Hall Of Fame

Dec 27, 2007
    remember, the Feb 2009 deal is not HD, just digital

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.