1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do any of the Genie's work with IR/RF simultaneously?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by TogasPoon, Aug 16, 2013.

1. TogasPoon

TogasPoon AllStar

May 23, 2007
    Subject says it all.

Thanks

2. Beerstalker

Beerstalker Hall Of Fame

Feb 9, 2009
    Peoria, IL
    I believe the HR44 does. But note that the RF on it only works with the new RC71 remote. The IR will work with any DirecTV remote.

3. TogasPoon

TogasPoon AllStar

May 23, 2007
    Thanks,

I received a HR 34 in the mail today but need to be able to use IR/RF at the same time. Order cancelled.

4. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    Just out of curiosity why do you have to use both ?

5. Steve

Steve Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2006
    Lower...
    Only the 44 and the C41 clients support simultaneous RF/IR control. The C41s can be paired to an HR34, if that makes a difference in your home. IOW, You can put a C41 where you need simultaneous RF/IR, and put the 34 in a room where it doesn't matter. Except for no PIP, sitting in front of the C41 would be virtually identical to sitting in front of the 34.

6. TogasPoon

TogasPoon AllStar

May 23, 2007
    Google TV needs IR, I need RF.

They sent me a HR 34 and 2 C31's. If I'm going to add 20 months to my contract (I'm out of contract this Dec), I'm don't want to have to compromise. I've been living with IR only for 6 weeks now and really hate it.

By the way is there a new way to get to retention? I'm saying cancel at the first prompt, there is no 2nd prompt anymore.

7. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    I thought that the RF remotes of DTV was only RF for the DTV receiver and all other items that were controlled were getting an IR signal. ??

8. peds48

peds48 Genius. DBSTalk Club

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    Google TV needs IR, I need RF.

There is no need to compromise. you are misinformed on how these remotes works. When a DirecTV remote is on RF, is sends RF signal to the DirecTV receivers ONLY and IR to the other devices. so your HR34 remote will work just fine

Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk

9. inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    I thought that the RF remotes of DTV was only RF for the DTV receiver and all other items that were controlled were getting an IR signal. ??

I think he means his google tv controls his dtv box.

10. TogasPoon

TogasPoon AllStar

May 23, 2007
    Yes this.

The google box needs to use IR to control the dtv box but I want to be able to control the dtv box directly using it's RF remote.

11. peds48

peds48 Genius. DBSTalk Club

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    Yes this.

The google box needs to use IR to control the dtv box but I want to be able to control the dtv box directly using it's RF remote.
    pardon my ignorance, but what can you do with GoogleTV and DirecTV. I was under the impression that GoogleTV only supported DN

Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk

12. adamson

adamson Godfather

Nov 9, 2007
    Florida
    Speaking of remotes...The installer that was here did not want the cords or remotes from 3 HR24's. I hated the new remotes instantly, missed the format button for one. Are there any good reasons besides RF to use the new ones? Anywho I am using the old ones right now.

13. dennisj00

dennisj00 Hall Of Fame

Sep 27, 2007
    Lake Norman, NC
    I haven't found any.

14. TogasPoon

TogasPoon AllStar

May 23, 2007
    I think everything works but it doesn't integrate your DVR, if you press it's DVR button it does the same as clicking the dtv list button.

The guide is nicer and just displays on the bottom 25% of the screen while you're watching whatever. It puts the shows in groups like Sports, Family, Drama, Comedy, etc... and displays the shows as pictures. Once you select what you want to watch it uses a IR blaster to change the channel.

15. Steve

Steve Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2006
    Lower...
    Not AFAIK. And if you can live with IR, there's at least one good reason to stick with the old ones, IMHO. I've found the RC71s don't support discrete "on" and "off" for my Sony, Samsung, Toshiba and two of my Panasonic TVs, but the RC32s and RC65s here do. The RC71 does support discrete on/off for my 65" Panasonic, however, which gives me hope that maybe one day they'll be able to update the software to remedy this.

16. Nighthawk68

Nighthawk68 Godfather

Oct 14, 2004
    Northern...
    My HR44's RC71 remote in RF mode, no problems, but I HATE that remote. Using RC64R in IR mode. Both remotes work, but as stated in an earlier reply, the RF remote ONLY controls the DirecTV box, all other devices are done by IR.