1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Do dual tuner DVRs count as one box or two?

Discussion in 'ViP612/622/722/722K DVR Support Forum' started by kucharsk, Jun 11, 2008.

1. kucharsk

kucharsk Godfather

Sep 19, 2006
    Stupid question here:

Do you need to pay the $5 "additional box" fee to use both tuners on a 622/722 or are both tuners considered one "unit"?

2. Michael P

Michael P Hall Of Fame

Oct 27, 2004
    It depends, keep the phone line plugged in and it counts as one unit (no additional fee). OTOH if you do not connect the phone line (or connect it through broadband) they will eventually charge you the additional box fee.

3. Henry

Henry Retired Member

Nov 15, 2007
    Pine, CO
    As Michael says, as long as you keep a phone line attached, it is considered one unit. I have a 622 in a location that doesn't have a phone jack nearby, so I use one of those RadioShack remote phone units that does the job admirably... and it saves me $5/mo. ;)

4. BobaBird

BobaBird EKB Editor

Mar 30, 2002
    If you're counting your lease options, it counts as 2 rooms, even if used in Single Mode.
    It counts as 1 box against the max of 6 boxes you can have, leased or owned.

5. gweempose

gweempose AllStar

Jun 10, 2006
    Another option is to use the ethernet connection if you don't happen to have a phone jack nearby.