1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do I keep my equipment while I suspend my account and can I still use the DVR?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by 996911, Aug 11, 2012.

1. 996911

996911 Go Pack!

Aug 24, 2006
    Tobacco...
    Figured I ask the brain trust here before I get a crazy story from the wrong CSR.

I am going to suspend my account while I am in temp lodging until my new home is built and then I'll take advantage of the movers program. During that time.........

1. Do I hang on to my boxes?

2. Can I still watch the recorded shows I have on my DVR's?

Thanks in advance!

**I have been moving for 2 days straight and my brain is mush. I have searched and got bits and pieces of answers so yes I "did a search" :( **

2. RunnerFL

RunnerFL Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2006
    1. Yes

2. If you disconnect them from the satellite before suspending your account you can watch recordings for a while until the unit tries to re-authorize. This time period seems to vary widely. If you power them down however, which I'm assuming you'd do since you said "temp lodging" you won't be able to because they'll try to re-authorize when you boot them back up

3. 996911

996911 Go Pack!

Aug 24, 2006
    Tobacco...
    re: 2

We are moving to an apartment for 8 months and can't get D* there. Stuck with crappy TWC and their oh so great DVR. Ugh.

Looks like we will just catalog what is on the boxes and start watching some TV!

Thanks so much for the reply.

4. Shades228

Shades228 DaBears

Mar 18, 2008
    Max suspend is 6 months.

5. 996911

996911 Go Pack!

Aug 24, 2006
    Tobacco...
    Thanks, I realize that. I intend to ask them for 8 months. If not, no biggie, then I just cancel and start from scratch in the spring.

6. armophob

armophob Difficulty Concen........

Nov 13, 2006
    Fort Pierce, FL
    If I can assume your new place is close enough, you can plug them into a battery back-up to move them. As long as you don't lose power they should not need to re-authorize. So you plug them into the UPS at the old house while on the dish and then move them after they re-authorize with them still on battery beeping away.

7. 996911

996911 Go Pack!

Aug 24, 2006
    Tobacco...
    Thought about that but have no idea when the box will stop letting me watch shows. Guess we will start watching as much as we can :)

8. armophob

Nov 13, 2006
    Fort Pierce, FL
    If you consider a UPS move, you will get 771 codes, but you will still have access to your recording list.

9. RunnerFL

Jan 4, 2006
    Until the unit tries to re-authorize which they do every so often. No idea how long "every so often" is though.

10. armophob

Nov 13, 2006
    Fort Pierce, FL
    I did not know that. I am going to have issues here if that is true.
    I am going to disconnect my 2 HR20's and fire up my new HR23's. But I was going to view down the hard drives on the 20's off the dish.

Am I going to have to continue to pay the fee on these until the recordings are deleted to watch them?

11. RunnerFL

Jan 4, 2006
    I haven't seen any kind of definite answer on how long you have to watch stuff without being connected. I've seen as little as 24 hours and as much as, if I remember correctly, 30 days. Even if it's 30 days there's no way of telling how many days it has been. If you're like me you'd wind up disconnecting them on day 29. :lol:

12. armophob

Nov 13, 2006
    Fort Pierce, FL
    Ok,
    I am going to step up the cleansing process this weekend.
    Find unwatched movies that can be rerecorded and maybe buy blu-rays of series I cannot.

Anything to rid me of these HR20's, untilI got the HR34, I thought all Directv boxes were like using MS windows. Now I know it was just the 20.

13. BeerPimp

BeerPimp New Member

Jan 13, 2012
    Don't get me started about TWC DVR's. We were one of the test cities years ago when they were beta testing their own DVR software.:mad::mad::mad:

14. armophob

Nov 13, 2006
    Fort Pierce, FL
    I am making a list of the movies I have backlogged as well. I will delete them and when I fire up the new boxes, I will just set up auto-records for them to capture them again. You might get lucky with this on shows that have marathon weekends on channels like TNT and scyfy

15. balboadave

balboadave Legend

Mar 3, 2010
    My boxes have been unplugged from the satellite for six months (home renovation), and I can still watch the recordings. I only need to press the list button when the 771 error message occurs to get to the Playlist. No UPS required, either.

16. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    How long the DVR will hold up depends on the model. Modern models (R15 or later, THR22 or HR20 or later) are thought to only last a matter of days. Earlier models probably aren't plagued with this problem.

The UPS only helps partially avoid one of the annoying errors. Beyond that, the expiry of the authorization doesn't change.

17. armophob

Nov 13, 2006
    Fort Pierce, FL
    What models are they?

18. balboadave

balboadave Legend

Mar 3, 2010
    I have two HR-24s.

19. android.cphone

android.cphone AllStar

Jan 10, 2012

20. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    The OP never said the complex was preventing him from getting a dish. It could be a LOS issue.