1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do I need a phone line for service

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by mvflem, May 18, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mvflem

mvflem New Member

May 17, 2005
    I do not have a land line phone. Will I need a regular telephone line to receive the dish service.

2. Darkman

Darkman Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Gold Club

Apr 16, 2002
    not really - you don't have to plug it in....

Welcome to DBSTalk, by the way!
    :welcome_s

3. RJS1111111

RJS1111111 Icon/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Mar 23, 2002
    ...unless you have a dual-tuner receiver and want to avoid the $5/month additional receiver fee, or you want to continue ordering PPV with your remote and having the receiver automatically call in the billing info to remove it from your smart card so you can order more. If you do have multiple receivers or tuners, the user agreement says that you're supposed to have them all connected to your home phone line, so that DISH can verify that you're not "stacking" your account (providing one or more of your account's receivers for use at another household or business).

4. Jason Nipp

Jason Nipp Analog Geek in a Digital World Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Gold Club DBSTalk Club

Jun 10, 2004
    Northern...
    They have started enforcing connection if you have a 2 tuner box or certain DVR models. I have seen 7 individuals now say their service was cut until they called into the audit team to verify the loc ID. In all cases users were 5 or more boxes, all DVR's.

5. tripod

tripod Cool Member

May 7, 2005
    Their fulltime RV program does not require a phone connection.Thats why I dumped Directv in 1996.

6. Jason Nipp

Jason Nipp Analog Geek in a Digital World Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Gold Club DBSTalk Club

Jun 10, 2004
    Northern...
    Agree, but as RJS pointed out their is an additional fee for no phone line connection.

I am not sure they are allowing dual tuners on a RV account. Maybe someone else can answer that for sure though.

7. Hoobastank

Hoobastank Legend

Mar 9, 2004
    It's really unfair to penalize people who do not have a landline on the dual tuner reveivers. If Dish wanted to, they could easily develop an adaptor of some sort that would allow people to connect other phones to... but why would they try to save customers money when that means they'd make less?

I'm going to tinker around to see if the receiver will dial out on my voip line, not sure how I'm going to rig it just yet...

8. JohnGfun

JohnGfun Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Gold Club

Jan 16, 2004
    I was thinking I think the penalties are too strict. If you steal cable or satellite you get thrown in jail and the key thrown away. Now I consider that no different then going to, say Walmart, and steal, say a Bar of soap, you MAYBE get thrown in jail for 24 hours and then get a little slap on the wrist and they tell you not to do it again.

What Is The Penalty For Account Stacking?

9. Jason Nipp

Jun 10, 2004
    Northern...
    Actually there are many people in here that have gotten the receivers to work with VOIP services. There are also some Cellphone and GSM dialtone systems that network your whole house thru a cellphone. Although I have heard the cheaper cell emulators do not work in this application. There are some systems available from the UK that I have been told do the trick, but they are very pricey, over a g-note.

10. EchoDish

EchoDish Guest

Deleted Message

11. Jason Nipp

Jun 10, 2004
    Northern...
    What are you saying?
    If your leasing a 522, there is a lease fee (which covers one additional outlet fee), a VOD fee, and if you do not connect it to a phone line they tell you straight out an additional fee for no phone line.

To my understanding if you had two 522's, on the second 522 you would pay that additional outlet fee, the lease fee, the VOD fee, and no phone fee if applicable.

12. EchoDish

EchoDish Guest

Deleted Message

13. Laverne

Laverne Guest

Feb 17, 2005
    In another thread:
    !rolling
    EchoDish, your name isn't "Charlie" by any chance, is it?? :sure: ;) :lol:

14. Jason Nipp

Jun 10, 2004
    Northern...
    Good question, but I don't think that Denver is located in West Virgina. A sales or call center employee maybe???

Thanks for the Clarification EchoDish.

15. EchoDish

EchoDish Guest

Deleted Message

16. jsanders

jsanders Hall Of Fame

Jan 21, 2004
    Wasn't Charlie a professional poker player at one point? He probably has the time to do whatever he wants to.

And, btw, we have received messages from Charlie before when the natives got restless. Our conduit, which proved to be a double edged sword, was none other than Scott Greczkowski. The only problem is that during the email correspondence, he started posting pictures of Charlie as the Grinch on his website and this one. Needless to say, that email exchange didn't last too long.

But Charlie has corresponded with us.

17. Hoobastank

Hoobastank Legend

Mar 9, 2004
    Either way you slice it, they DO charge you for not having a phone line connected. Don't sugar coat it, we're not that stupid.

18. KingLoop

KingLoop Custom User Title DBSTalk Gold Club

Mar 3, 2005
    While I do enjoy my Dish Network service...

I won't go as far as EchoDish... JDPowers and Associates Award, or no award, E* customer support is severely lacking at times (any E* customer who has ever had to play CSR roulette has to admit that)....

They don't "Charge" you for "Not" having your Dual Tuner Receiver connected to a phoneline... They waive the additional outlet fee on that receiver (It has two outlets you know) if you connect it to a phoneline. (Enabling Big Brother an easier venue to keep his eye on you.)

19. EchoDish

EchoDish Guest

Deleted Message

20. Jason Nipp

Jun 10, 2004
    Northern...
    Echo, if you are an employee, which it certainly sounds like you could be, you know as well as the people in here that this is not the only reason that it is preferred to keep it plugged into a landline phone.

There are lots of cheaters out there. That is why there is an audit team at E*. Every receiver has an electronic location ID tag on it, and it randomly changes. I will not go into detail of how it works, but every receiver, especially DVR's and HD boxes, will randomly dial up the home computer to report that Loc ID. E* is enforcing this now. So plug it in or pay your extra 5 bucks or risk the chance of getting your account suspended, your choice.

BTW, I know one person in here that lost a receiver because of this. And if he wishes to speak up that's his preference.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.