1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do I need all 4 signals for SWM to work?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by premio, Sep 27, 2008.

1. premio

premio Godfather

Sep 26, 2006
    My AT9 has only ever had 3 of the 4 outputs from the LNB's connected, will SWM work in this configuration? or do I need to take the arm off the dish and install a 4th wire?

Thanks

2. RobertE

RobertE New Member

Jun 9, 2006
    It will partially work

You will miss whatever is carried on the input that isn't connected. This could lead to additional receiver instability and missed recordings as well.

Best option is to get that 4th line run.

3. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    you need all four cables to feed the four inputs of the SWM, or you will be missing half the tps from two/three SATs.

4. premio

premio Godfather

Sep 26, 2006
    Thanks guys, I must have something else wrong then as I'm seeing 0 on all TPs from all sats. I've got a lot of variables in play: dish alignment with no signal meter other than IRD and new SWM =(

5. Grentz

Grentz New Member

Jan 10, 2007
    First get your dish setup and aligned using a single run to a single receiver (no SWM or other multiswitches). Then work from there.

You should have all 4 going to the SWM though when the time comes to set it up.

6. premio

premio Godfather

Sep 26, 2006
    Will the PI being inline fry the LNB's if I bypass the SWM with a coupler?

7. RobertE

RobertE New Member

Jun 9, 2006
    Yes, and quite possibly damage the PI as well.

8. Igor

Igor Godfather

Jan 3, 2005
    1) First add the fourth cable between antenna and SWM,

2) Then power cycle the SWM (by cycle the PI power)

3) If there is a power splitter, make sure unused ports are terminated. If you do not have a load to terminate the port, connect it to a 15 feet RG6.

4) You should be able to see signals in the receiver at this point.

9. premio

premio Godfather

Sep 26, 2006
    Finally got it working. Took awhile to get 85's in the KA band, but I'll take that it. Some of my 101's are at 100.

EDIT: I had problems with the connectivity that I thought were related to the passing of the signal through the surge protector. I ended up trying to get OTA working and had no signal on the OTA side, but fine pass through of SWM - which led me to rule out the diplexer issue. I remembered a little bit ago my kid was playing with my wires like a whip and found a break =) So I'm happy to report that the OTA in the SWM is working great. Now I just need to clean up the wiring.

Thanks all for the help. Can't wait for my SWS to show up so I can connect the other HR20 tomorrow.