1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do I need BBCs?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by DolphinGirl, Dec 27, 2008.

1. DolphinGirl

DolphinGirl AllStar

Jun 10, 2006
    Received a new HR21-100 from DirecTV via drop shipment when my old Hughes quit. I already have another Hr21-100 on another set and a Slimline 5 dish. For whatever reason, no BBCs were included in the box of the new receiver. After connecting, I am only receiving certain stations.

Called DirecTV and they said I need the BBCs.

Here's my question(s): Does that sound correct? Also, the new receiver is hooked up to a SD TV, so are BBCs even needed for that set?

2. RobertE

RobertE New Member

Jun 9, 2006
    Sorta. :) Hows that for a wishy washy answer.

Yes you do need BBCS to get any of the HD programming from 99/103 and in some markets your HD locals.

But, if you only have it connected to a SD Tv, then no biggie for now. Only thing you may want to do is set it for a 18" dual LNB dish. That way it will remove all the HD versions of the channels out of the guide. Then you won't have to look at 771 errors until the BBCs show up.

3. peevy

peevy Cool Member

Mar 17, 2007
    Yes, if you have Slimline 5 you will need BBC's. You should receive all channels on sd tv though not in hd.

4. inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    Personally, I'd get the BBC's now, when they'll send them to you for free since its there mistake. This way in the future, when you get an HD set, you'll be ready...

Also, I'd watch the HD channels still anyway. They will still be sharper on an sd set...

5. dennisj00

dennisj00 Hall Of Fame

Sep 27, 2007
    Lake Norman, NC
    I was more successful getting BBCs by stopping a D installer and asking for them!