1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do I need LAN setup for MediaShare?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Connected Home' started by SteelersFan, Nov 23, 2012.

1. SteelersFan

SteelersFan AllStar

Nov 4, 2006
    I have a DECA connection using Whole-Home to connect to my four DVR's. I can access Apps no problem. Do I need to have my receiver connected via Ethernet to access MediaShare? It seemingly has disappeared from my menu so I'm thinking I need to reconnect the Ethernet cable. I use Tversity to otherwise connect.

Nevermind. Switched Tversity to HR20 and I can see MediaShare now. Unfortunately, can't play the file back. Is there any better servers for the HR series other than Tversity.

2. peds48

peds48 Genius. DBSTalk Club

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    not all versions of TVersity are compatible with MediaShare. There is one version that is compatible, but at this time I don't remember the version number. let's see if the other folks can shine in.

3. dennisj00

dennisj00 Hall Of Fame

Sep 27, 2007
    Lake Norman, NC
    There are also some file type limitations with TVersity and MediaShare. I'm not at home and can't check the the last version that worked for me but I'll post it tomorrow.

4. SteelersFan

SteelersFan AllStar

Nov 4, 2006
    Be perfect if there was a one-size fits all for this. I have a PS3, HR series and soon a WD TV Live.

5. dennisj00

dennisj00 Hall Of Fame

Sep 27, 2007
    Lake Norman, NC
    I actually use Apple TV with airplay from iPad or iPhone and Air Video much more than media share now.

6. davring

davring Hall Of Fame

Jan 13, 2007
    Simplest most reliable setup Ive ever used.

7. dennisj00

dennisj00 Hall Of Fame

Sep 27, 2007
    Lake Norman, NC
    It plays anything from any app on an iPad/iPhone, even nomad programs will play in mirror mode.

8. jdspencer

jdspencer Hall Of Fame

Nov 7, 2003
    I gave up a couple of years with trying to use Media Share. Just too many hoops to jump through.
    I now have the WDTV Plus and it plays everything I throw at it from my NAS.