1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do I need to buy the Internet Connection Kit if I'm going to use wireless?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by guyinraleigh, Jul 31, 2008.

1. guyinraleigh

guyinraleigh New Member

Jul 29, 2008
    I'm getting ready to pull the trigger and order DirectTV. For the On Demand features, I plan on connecting wirelessly to my router. So do I even need to order the "Internet Connection Kit?"

Thanks for your help in advance!

2. rhambling

rhambling Godfather

Dec 19, 2007
    no you dont, what you need is a wireless Ethernet bridge. you have to use the ethernet connection on the back and not the usb.

the internet connection kit is for people who want to hardwire the receiver using the electrical lines.

3. Igor

Igor Godfather

Jan 3, 2005
    You do not need the connection kit offered by D*.

If you plan to use wireless, I recommend you to use Linksys WGA600N game adapter. This is the only wireless adapter D* has announced to plan to support.

There are various reports here of other adaptors working with the HD DVR. But the users had to plug the adaptor on a PC to configure it before plugging into the DVR.

4. bobnielsen

bobnielsen Éminence grise

Jun 29, 2006
    Bainbridge...
    Two of the kits ($25 ea) will be less expensive than most wireless ethernet bridges.

5. EricJRW

EricJRW Icon

Jul 6, 2008
    Keller, TX
    And easier to set up I would imagine.

6. MIAMI1683

MIAMI1683 New Member

Jul 11, 2007
    Yup plug and play baisically

7. Islandguy43

Islandguy43 Legend

Oct 2, 2007
    I have net gear home plug set I am using with dish, will that work with D* when I switch over?:confused:

8. bobnielsen

Jun 29, 2006
    Bainbridge...
    It should. The Netgear XE102 is only 14 Mbps, which might be a bit slow when MRV finally happens. The XE103/104 use the same chipset as the Directv homeplug adapters (85 Mbps).

9. Brian Hanasky

Brian Hanasky Godfather

Feb 22, 2008
    I have heard the the D* powerline adapters work well but how would a USB adapter work?

10. bobnielsen

Jun 29, 2006
    Bainbridge...
    A USB adapter won't work. Only the ethernet port is configured for networking.

11. Brian Hanasky

Brian Hanasky Godfather

Feb 22, 2008
    Ok thanks.. I should have read post #2 more clearly. Reading comprehension and I are not friends today I guess.