1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Do I need to return my Dish dish when I cancel?

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by fudpucker, Jul 27, 2014.

1. fudpucker

fudpucker Godfather

Jul 23, 2007
    NW Iowa
    I'm moving from Dish to Directv in about a month - I like Dish, I just want Sunday Ticket and can't get it outside of Directv any longer (had it on the PS3 offering and then the EA offering last year.) Anyway, when I cancel I assume they will send me boxes to return my 3 receivers back in. What about the actual dish? Do they expect me to return that?

Thanks

2. Jason S@dish

Jason S@dish DISH Representative DISH Representative

Dec 2, 2012
    If the satellite is safely reachable you would want to return the LNBF on the dish. That is the front part of the satellite dish that has the eyes on it. IF it is not safely reachable you would not need to return it.

1 person likes this.
  3. fudpucker

fudpucker Godfather

Jul 23, 2007
    NW Iowa
    Jason, I have no way to safely reach the LNBF, it is up on top of a second floor rooftop (I was frightened for the installer when he put it up there!) + I have a severe back injury that would make going up on a roof pretty risky. Will there be a process to ensure I don't get charged for it? Thanks for the quick reply, BTW - one area where Dish really has a competitive advantage is you DIRT guys, gonna miss you guys!

4. Jim5506

Jim5506 Hall Of Fame

Jun 7, 2004
    I've never heard of anyone getting charged for not returning an lnb.

5. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    One needs to tell DISH that they cannot safely reach the LNB to return it ... no long story or proof required. There have been a couple of posts from people who simply ignored the request for the LNB and received a bill. Or so they claimed, It is easy enough just to tell DISH when you cannot reach it.

6. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    Just send you medical history as a proof by fax. ;)

7. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    As James made abundantly clear, you only need to tell them, not prove it to them.

8. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    You missed the wink, it was a joke.

9. fudpucker

fudpucker Godfather

Jul 23, 2007
    NW Iowa
    I got it. :)

10. Jason S@dish

Jason S@dish DISH Representative DISH Representative

Dec 2, 2012
    We are going to hate to lose you as a customer. I hope your new service works well for you. As long as the receiver is returned the charge is never put on the account. I can also note the account for you. Send me a private message with the phone number and 4 digit security code on the account and I will ahve it done in no time.

11. fudpucker

fudpucker Godfather

Jul 23, 2007
    NW Iowa
    Jason, thanks, I will do that as soon as I call DTV and get it installed (don't want to cancel dish until the other system is in place and working) - and the move is purely due to Sunday Ticket. I had Directtv from 1995 to 2009, then switched to Dish with some anxiety in 2009 (I think it was then?) because we moved and DTV didn't carry the locals in HD in our area (they do now.) We've been happy with Dish. I appreciate the help and will connect with you in the next few weeks.