1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do On Demand Movies Self-Delete ?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by JohnTSmith, Dec 11, 2009.

1. JohnTSmith

JohnTSmith Legend

Dec 5, 2009
    Thinking about switching from SD to HD, so wife will be able to access the On Demand feature which requires a HD DVR

The lag between recording a movie now, and watching it later, can be a long time... but that is no problem with "regular" recorded movies (we do not do pay per view)

Once downloaded and on the HD DVR hard drive, do On Demand movies self-delete based on age?

2. BubblePuppy

BubblePuppy Good night dear Smoke... love you & "got your butt

Nov 3, 2006
    Yes. The end date/expiration date is displayed.

3. dave29

dave29 New Member

Feb 18, 2007
    They all have an "expiration date".
    In my experience, some are different than others.

4. zudy

zudy Legend

Jul 22, 2009
    I have found that a movie stay's on untill the experation date if you don't watch it, but if you watch it will be removed in 24 hours. If you want to watch it more then once you have to do it in the 24 hours.

5. Movieman

Movieman Hall Of Fame

May 8, 2009
    I have watched my dod's repeatedly and never had them remove prior to the expiration days.

6. BubblePuppy

BubblePuppy Good night dear Smoke... love you & "got your butt

Nov 3, 2006
    You might be thinking of PPV..I don't use PPV so I don't know.

7. Jeremy W

Jeremy W Hall Of Fame

Jun 19, 2006
    Correct. Those rules apply to PPV only. Regular VOD content, including non-PPV movies, can be watched until the expiration date.

8. JohnTSmith

JohnTSmith Legend

Dec 5, 2009
    Thanks... I guess this is one of those things where I'll have to tell her to actually pay attention to what it says about what she orders, and follow the instructions about watching before the movie expires and goes away

This would only be for FREE on demand movies, if that makes any difference (already pay over $100 a month for 4 receivers and all movie channels, so I'm certainly not going to order any paid downloads just to watch something a month or three before it's available in the regular lineup)

9. ThomasM

ThomasM RF Engineer

Jul 20, 2007
    Milwaukee, WI
    Not exactly. If somehow you can find an R22, you can do On Demand without having to pay the HD upgrade fee ($199) and the extra $10 a month for HD service.

Word has it that some Best Buy and online stores still have R22's for sale.

10. TomCat

TomCat Broadcast Engineer

Aug 31, 2002
    What about the adult channels? (somebody told me something like that might actually exist :))

11. dave29

dave29 New Member

Feb 18, 2007
    I don't see why they wouldn't expire.

12. Jeremy W

Jeremy W Hall Of Fame

Jun 19, 2006
    I've never ordered an adult VOD title, so I can't say for sure. Going with my gut, I would expect that they expire like a regular non-PPV title.

13. JohnTSmith

JohnTSmith Legend

Dec 5, 2009
    Hmm... probably not, for me

My theater room has a Sony VPL-VW50 projector which, as far as I know, is 1080P capable... I did not go HD when we built the house 3 years ago both because we were on a tight budget, and there were not all that many HD channels available to warrant replacing my DTivo equipment

Now, there are more HD channels available and, as I have 4 rg6 wires available at the dish location (only using 2 with round dish) I'm thinking about switching to HD while I can still get the 4 output dish to keep using my SD DTivo boxes in the other 3 locations

I just signed up at the "offers" page at DTV, specifying HD, so will see what they send me about HD in the next few weeks

I also have another thread active about a 2T drive, so when I do this I will go ahead and put in the maximum storage capacity... we like to record movies when they come up on the guide, and watch some other time (I have all 6 Star Wars on the theater DTivo, and plan to take a day soon and watch all 6)

Anyway, even without considering VOD movies and expiration dates, I will go for HD if/when I decide to do this

14. Starchy77

Starchy77 Godfather

Jul 18, 2008
    I could be wrong, but I thought I saw a 1.5T limit on the amount of space you can add in to the HR2xx series dvr's.... I would expect the 2T to work, but only give you 1.5T of space. Can someone else confirm this (or tell me I dont know what I am talking about!);)

15. JohnTSmith

JohnTSmith Legend

Dec 5, 2009