1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do we need to add HR20 reviews at CNet?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by RAD, Nov 13, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RAD

RAD Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2002
    Dripping...
    E*'s making a big deal of how bad the HR20 is based on CNet user ratings. I think many of us will agree that the HR20 had a large number of issues when it first came out, justifying the low rating which helps give it the low rating. However looking at CNet now and saying to sort the user comments sorted by date there are still a number of low ratings being given. Looking at the comments while some are saying they've had problems with the box there's also a number of folks rating it low just because it's not a Tivo. Examples from http://reviews.cnet.com/digital-vid...65196.html?tag=srtdate&ord=creationDate+desc:

- "I may be nuts, but the new channel HD pictures seem less sharp than they did on the old HD channels with my Tivo DVR. I'm still trying to figure out how to do the things that were so simple and elegant with Tivo. Every show I automatically record on the HR20 starts 1-2 minutes into the show and ends 1-2 minutes before the show is over! I can manually adjust this, but almost never had to with the Tivo."

- "Breaking off from a relationship with TIVO was a huge mistake for Directv. This receiver is not ready for prime time. "

- "No "Tivo" like features that we all have become accustomed to! '

- "> I would love to have a new version of the HR10-250 that would have the ability to decode the new HD channels. Along with the TIVO UI and reliability it would be a world beater.
    > I may consider scrapping it all. Paying the early disconnect penalty and going with the Series 3 TIVO and Cable TV once the local cable company has better HD programming. "

- "It seems like Motorola designed the menu system on this unit. It's slow to respond and the layout is so poor that I bought a universal so I could program the buttons to do what I want. They need to go back to TIVO."

That's 5 out of 10 user comments on the 1st page alone dated 10/14/2007 through 11/12/2007 As usual it looks like the old rule of thumb, people with problems get on the net and b*tch, happy people don't. Maybe we need to get people to review the box based on it not being a Tivo since that's not what the box is. Of course if you're having problems with the box put those reviews out there also, but IMHO it's unfair to give the HR20 a poor rating just because it's not a Tivo.

2. Ken S

Ken S RIP

Feb 12, 2007
    I agree...but it still does a pretty good job of being mediocre on its own.

Give it another year and perhaps they'll have gotten the box to the point where it should have been when it was released...or given up and moved on to another model.

3. Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich Lifetime Achiever

Nov 15, 2005
    Would it really make a difference?

By Dish Network adding those specific quotes to their site, you can darn bet sure they are going to make it match up with what people see on cNET..

And given that that system is as anonymous as any forum board... they can more then sure make it so....

While certainly there are creditable "raitings" at the site, both good and bad... there is no way to ensure or validate any of them.

We could all go there today... make our voices known... both good and bad...
    But probably then something would get posted linking to this very thread... and then there would be a new line at DishNetwork, how DirecTV "pushed" to have the voting increased...

Ultimately... people will end up judging for themselves...

4. RAD

RAD Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2002
    Dripping...
    Earl, it probably won't make any difference for E* since all they need to do in the ad is put an * next to the rating and on the bottom say rating as of 10/31/07. But it might be helpful for folks that go to read the reviews get to see more reviews then the rants about the box not being a Tivo.

5. Earl Bonovich

Nov 15, 2005
    True....

My review is in there from way back at the beginning..
    So I can't "re-review" unless they give me an option to re-do my earlier review.

But if others want to "update" with the current status of the box...

Given it is a year later... and the HR20 that we have today, is not the same as the HR20 a year ago...

6. houskamp

houskamp New Member

Sep 14, 2006
    I much prefer Circut City's site.. reviews seem much more acurate and people tend to say why they liked/disliked it.. by the way i't getting a 3.5 out of 5 there.. not to bad for an average from day one..

7. Knon2000

Knon2000 Legend

Nov 20, 2006
    Man, how many 1's and 2's can a system get? Seems like some people are posting on there without actually owning what they are reviewing.
    I never really believe sites like that. I read the editors opinions, and pretty much take everything else with a grain of salt.
    I really like some of the one and two sentence reviews too :)

8. gcisko

gcisko I am Iron Man!

Sep 27, 2006
    Too bad they do not have an option to give user ratings for the past 6 months. I too would have given it a poor rating in Sept06. But now I think it is 11 out of 10 :D

9. dreadlk

dreadlk Hall Of Fame

Sep 18, 2007
    Please people don't mess with the ratings and try to skew them in D* favor. As more people get units and use the latest software the ratings should change on there own. There's nothing worst than people skewing the ratings because they disagree with what they see.

D* introduced a horrible unit at the start and this is the price they are paying, it's also a way of making companies know that they should debug there stuff before selling it. If we mess with the Ratings we are sending a clear signal that this kind of half done release is ok and will be forgiven.

And BTW I think the HR20 was pretty bad up until about Aug 07 (about 2 updates ago) that was the point when most of the problems went away, before that I was RBR about 2 times a week.

10. RAD

RAD Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2002
    Dripping...
    The problem with many of the low rating reviews is not because of the unit but because "it's not a TIVO", that's why I said maybe we need to get some post out there judging the unit on what it's supposed to be not ragging on it because it's not a TIVO.

11. Earl Bonovich

Nov 15, 2005
    If each person votes/reviews their system....
    To the merits which they find appropriate.... 1 time (don't create more then one login).

Why would that "skew" the numbers ?
    Wouldn't that more accurately "refelect" the actual attitude of customers?

12. dreadlk

dreadlk Hall Of Fame

Sep 18, 2007
    Yes but the direction this post is going towards is to send people to put out positive glowing reviews to compensate for the negative. Sorry to say but the HR20 is far from deserving positive glowing 5-5 reviews

13. Earl Bonovich

Nov 15, 2005
    Well... I happen to disagree with you... but that is why they are individual user raitings... and why it is important that individual users vote/review the unit for themselves, and not based on what they "read" about it...

I absolutely positively don't want to see anyone going on cNET or anyother board to flood it with non-valid reviews, just to "skew" the numbers.

Vote it accordingly as you see fit.... if it pans out either way, then it done on true data... and not fud data.

14. RAD

RAD Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2002
    Dripping...

The very last sentence in my OP says "Of course if you're having problems with the box put those reviews out there also, but IMHO it's unfair to give the HR20 a poor rating just because it's not a Tivo.", I don't see that asking for glowing reviews, just ones not based on the no Tivo argument.

15. Ken S

Ken S RIP

Feb 12, 2007
    I couldn't say it better...although I did say it with a lot more sarcasm.

Seriously, DirecTV brought on those horrid ratings all by themselves.

For me the units have gone from a .5/5 in March when I had six DOA units to somewhere around 2.5 - 3.0. If they can ever fix the missed/late recordings issue I'd rate it a 4.0

But, then again, I don't care if something says Tivo on it...or has DLB.

16. Earl Bonovich

Nov 15, 2005
    But should the HR20 now running 0x1BE
    Be compared to the HR20 that was runninog 0xBE when it was first released?

Even your self said you would rate it higher today then you did back then.

---

"Price They are Paying"...

So... no one can ever release a product that is not perfect on day one?
    Without the opportunity to fix it?

If that is the case... then the TiVo 3 should be in the same boat then... as they released a software release a few weeks after it's release as well to fix issues... .and are still releasing updates....

17. jaywdetroit

jaywdetroit Hall Of Fame

Sep 21, 2006
    I've submitted my CNET review --

8 out of 10

18. tooloud10

tooloud10 Legend

Sep 23, 2007
    Well, people like you and I would just have to make sure we give the HR20 a proper review, then. There's no reason this thread is closed to people that agree with the Cnet ratings.

19. dreadlk

dreadlk Hall Of Fame

Sep 18, 2007
    Earl there are levels of Bugs. I rate the HR20 as "Horrible" when it was released, not just a few bugs but a total disaster. Products like that should never be released to the public. Let’s say someone released a Laptop or TV or some other independent product that had as many bugs as the HR20. That product would be off the shelves in weeks. Some past examples of these kinds of bug ridden releases, Windows ME, Microsoft BOB, Apple III, Apple Pippin. It does not take long before retailers return the goods to the manufactures.

If you look at this honestly you know what I am saying is true. If it was not for the fact that HR20 is a needed component to watch the new HD on Directv, it would never have survived with this level of problems.

Directv should suffer some bad reviews and not just be judged on it's current state but also on the pain it inflicted on the first group of users who suffered with it for 2 years and who BTW paid the most money for it, these older reviews should not just be buried but should remain as a testament to the evolution of the product and a warning to other companies that your past deeds will haunt you.

20. mbuser

mbuser Godfather

Jul 6, 2006
    +1

And it says you can add to your review at any time, so all of you who rated it poorly earlier and now like it a lot better should go on CNET and update your review.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.