1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Do Ya'll think I have a shot?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by dsheli, Mar 27, 2013.

1. dsheli

dsheli AllStar

Jul 15, 2008
    Hey Guys,
    So moving to a new house and did a site survey with Dishpointer on my iPhone. That was the only small window I could find to place a dish (see attached image). My question is... will this small window be sufficient for a SL-3? Do I need more clearance around these sats for a reliable signal? Obviously if trees are blowing in front of the dish we will have problems...

Thanks for everyone's help and recommendations,
    David

Attached Files:

2. Kevin F

Kevin F Hall Of Fame

May 9, 2010
    SL3 yes

SL5 no

My $0.02
    :D

Kevin

3. Kevin F

Kevin F Hall Of Fame

May 9, 2010
    Also you don't need SD locals right?

Kevin

4. Jacob Braun

Jacob Braun King of Awesome

Oct 5, 2011
    Tulsa, OK
    He's in Atlanta so an SL3 is all he needs as their locals come off of 101 (unless he needs Spanish programming)

5. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    I've had worse, so maybe the questions should be:

1. How long is "OK"?
    2. Do you know a good tree trimmer?

6. west99999

west99999 Icon

May 11, 2007
    You most likely will not get a tech to do that install because QC requires at minimum 5 degree clearance on all sats the LNB will pickup.

7. gov

gov Legend

Jan 11, 2013
    Any way to shoot through the much larger gap above where you have the arc now?

Moving 25 feet will raise your 'beam' ~~20 feet higher.

(I don't have a 'scale' in your picture, so the numbers are very approximate)

8. peds48

peds48 DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    Right on. This is too close. Very doubtful any DirecTV tech will install this for you.

9. dsheli

dsheli AllStar

Jul 15, 2008
    Thanks for the responses guys! I will attempt an install myself, I set my dish up myself all through college so I will give it a shot. I just hope the sats are in fact in that location. I will give it a shot next weekend and keep you guys updated.

David

10. Jodean

Jodean Icon

Jul 17, 2010
    not sure on your iphone, but dishpointer is not that accurate, on my Galaxy S2 it shows sats in one position, turn phone sideways shows them further west, not much but i usually end up holding phone at about a 45* angle and it seems pretty close