1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do you back into parking spaces

Discussion in 'The OT' started by 4HiMarks, Sep 16, 2009.

Do you back into parallel parking spaces?

1. Yes, always.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Only when it is going to snow.

84.6%
  3. No, never.

15.4%
  1. Sep 16, 2009 #1 of 116
    4HiMarks

4HiMarks Hall Of Fame

Jan 21, 2004
    Laurel, MD
    Almost all the neighbors across from me back into their spaces. I find it annoying when I am coming home and have to wait for them to maneuver their giant SUVs into a small space before I can park on my side of the street.

I have never seen the point. It is much harder to back in than to back out, and it takes longer, so why does someone do it?

Edit: I guess I am really talking about perpendicular spaces, where your front (or back) wheels are supposed to touch the curb, rather than parallel where your passenger side wheels are to the curb. The third option would be diagonal, which it would be really challenging to back into.

2. Sep 16, 2009 #2 of 116
    Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    I hardly ever do this. I've been told that men do this more frequently than women, make of that what you will.

3. Sep 16, 2009 #3 of 116
    veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    1. to make a fast getaway
    2. backing out into the street can be somewhat blind, but there is no traffic in the parking space
    3. :confused:

4. Sep 16, 2009 #4 of 116
    Herdfan

Herdfan Well-Known Member

Mar 18, 2006
    Teays...
    I voted yes as when I had a large truck (F-350 Crew) I almost always backed in. While I may be able to easily get into a space forward, getting back out can sometimes be problematic especially if someone parked close to you.

Now I have a smaller truck (Avalanche) I still may do it, but not as much.

There is a company here in Charleston (Columbia Gas Transmission) that requires all employees to back into their parking spaces. It is different to see a lot with a hundred + cars all backed in.

5. Sep 16, 2009 #5 of 116
    4HiMarks

4HiMarks Hall Of Fame

Jan 21, 2004
    Laurel, MD
    I'm not talking about a street, but a parking lot.

6. Sep 16, 2009 #6 of 116
    4HiMarks

4HiMarks Hall Of Fame

Jan 21, 2004
    Laurel, MD
    I have never heard of this, but I have seen plenty of lots and garages with "Head in Only" signs.

7. Sep 16, 2009 #7 of 116
    veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    I think the same thing holds. You have a better field of view, to see if anyone is coming.
    I've had a couple of carports that were easier to back in straight than pulling in forward. You need to make a larger arc going forward to have the rear wheels where you want them and backing in you start with the rear wheels where you want them and can steer the front to where you want. [hope this makes sense]

8. Sep 16, 2009 #8 of 116
    jeffshoaf

jeffshoaf Icon

Jun 17, 2006
    The only time I back in is when I'm going to be sitting in the car for a while (waiting on someone, eating lunch, etc.) and the view looking out of the space is better than the view looking into the space . The view may be the scenery or the passers-by (passer-bys?). ;)

9. Sep 16, 2009 #9 of 116
    4HiMarks

4HiMarks Hall Of Fame

Jan 21, 2004
    Laurel, MD
    The field of view behind you is better than in front? Then why doesn't everyone drive backwards all the time?

The biggest problem is when someone is following you down the aisle. If you go past a space, then stop to back in, you face a very high likelihood of running into the other person attempting to pull into the same space. Even if they see you, and can divine your intention, you are still impeding them from getting to another space while they wait for you.

To me, the object is not "a fast getaway," but minimizing the total time spent parking and "unparking." Driving in and backing out takes less total time than backing in and driving out. Also, I am usually trying to get to somewhere by a specific time, not get away, so it makes sense for the longer time to be after the appointment is over, not before.

10. Sep 16, 2009 #10 of 116
    RobertE

RobertE New Member

Jun 9, 2006
    With my work van, whenever possible I back in or pull through. Visibility is a PITA trying to back out of a parking space. Especially with a large vehicle on either or both sides.

As for the extra time it takes. Sorry, you should have left a few minutes earlier. :p As for running into the other person, if your following so close and/or not paying enough attention in a tight parking lot that you hit them, well you get what you deserve. You should be doing what 10-15 mph tops in a parking lot (rows, not the track around the lot).

11. Sep 16, 2009 #11 of 116
    tcusta00

tcusta00 Active Member

Dec 31, 2007
    +1

I almost always back in. Takes just as long as backing out, not sure why it would take any longer to do one or the other. :shrug:

12. Sep 16, 2009 #12 of 116
    Spanky_Partain

Spanky_Partain Active Member

Dec 7, 2006
    It makes it easier for me to get things in/out of trunk to the front door/garage and it makes it easier for me to see in the early morning hours when pulling out into the street.

Time, do you walk out of the doctors office if he is late seeing you for your appointment?

It is all relative!

To answer my own question, Yes! I do and will continue to do so. One doctor even charged me for the appointment once. It took 1 year for them to collect the fee of $25 by payng them $2 a month. I am sure it cost them more since I have free checking! :)

13. Sep 16, 2009 #13 of 116
    Whodo

Whodo Mentor

May 15, 2007
    I always back in, reason, lack of visibility when backing out into on coming traffic route of travel, it doesn't matter if it is a parking lot or at home.

14. Sep 16, 2009 #14 of 116
    Fontano

Fontano Godfather

Feb 7, 2008
    - We back into the parking space, at church, every sunday.
    We do this 100% because we don't trust any of the other drivers in the parking lot. Over the years, we have seen so many accidents with people cutting off people that are backing out, just to get that extra 10 seconds.

Other then that, we only back into spaces when there is a really good reason for it. Like our other car is on the spot, and we are moving things from trunk to trunk. Or it is against the wall, and we have something in the trunk and want to make it more difficult for someone to get in there.

Typically, I am pull through parker. If the parking lot lanes allow for two way traffic, and I can, I pull through so I am facing out.

When waiting for the wife in the store, I typicall go to the back part of the lot, so I can pull through and see the door waiting for her to get out.

15. Sep 16, 2009 #15 of 116
    dettxw

dettxw MRVing

Nov 21, 2007
    Choctaw, OK
    So we're just talking about parking lots?
    Many times I'll park away from the crowd then pull through so that the get-away is quicker and safer (not backing out somewhat blind), so it might look like I backed in, especially if cars later fill in around.

No need to back in at home, can park 9 in the garage & driveway.

I vote for passers-by.

16. Sep 16, 2009 #16 of 116
    BubblePuppy

BubblePuppy Good night dear Smoke... love you & "got your butt

Nov 3, 2006
    I voted "No". I also get very frustrated waiting for someone to back in a parking space, takes a lot longer to do that than it does to pull in straight, and to back out of a space.

Here in Portland, there are streets that have angle parking that requires the driver to back in, that is a major pain in the ass. Not only do you have to pay very close attention backing up into those spaces, but you also have to keep an eye(s) out for traffic, all at the same time.

17. Sep 16, 2009 #17 of 116
    veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    :confused:
    I tried to say "looking out the front" is better than trying to see over my shoulder, with cars blocking my right & left.

Clearly you don't like when people do this in front of you, sorry.
    While I rarely park backwards, I've tried to answer your question, with why I have and what others have said when I've asked them why.

18. Sep 16, 2009 #18 of 116
    The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    For my job, we are taught to always back into spaces. Along with the idea that we may need to have a hasty response and don't want to waste time backing out, it is also considered to be safer. As there is not someone expected to be in the parking spot when backing in, you do not have to worry about someone in your blind spot when backing out.

Most accidents in parking lots occur when someone is backing out of a parking spot. Trust me, I know as I've worked way too many. We also have a term for the cause of most of these accidents... BULFing.. (Backing Up Looking Forward). Whenever you back up, you should always turn around and look out the back of the vehicle. Most people though are lazy and try to just use their mirrors, which just adds to the size of your blind spots.

- Merg

19. Sep 16, 2009 #19 of 116
    4HiMarks

4HiMarks Hall Of Fame

Jan 21, 2004
    Laurel, MD
    A parking space is a lot smaller than the aisle. You need to go slower and navigate more carefully when dealing with a smaller space. You don't have to worry about smacking into the car in the facing space or a concrete wall when backing out.

20. Sep 16, 2009 #20 of 116
    tcusta00

tcusta00 Active Member

Dec 31, 2007
    I disagree - if you're a halfway experienced/good driver you should be able to back into a parking space just as quickly as you can back out.