1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do you think the HD Tivo will be better than the 921?

Discussion in 'Polls' started by Chris Blount, Mar 25, 2004.

1. Yes

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. No

55 vote(s)
    64.7%
  3. Not Sure

15 vote(s)
    17.6%
  4. Don't care

15 vote(s)
    17.6%
  1. Chris Blount

Chris Blount Creator of DBSTalk Staff Member Administrator DBSTalk Gold Club

Jun 22, 2001

2. RAD

RAD Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2002
    Dripping...
    DirecTV/Tivo would really have to outshine themselves to make a box that's worst then the 921 ;)

3. Mark Lamutt

Mark Lamutt Your Neighborhood Liasion

Mar 23, 2002
    I personally think that it's going to have a lot of the same bugs that the 921 has.

4. rcbridge

rcbridge Godfather

Oct 31, 2002
    Let's hope it does, to force dish to get there act together for any future products!!

5. juan ellitinez

juan ellitinez Icon/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Jan 31, 2003
    Where is it? I thought it was due out march 1st??

6. SParker

SParker Active Member

Apr 27, 2002
    Bite your tongue! :D

7. DonLandis

DonLandis Hall Of Fame

Dec 17, 2003
    I voted- "Don't care" I plan to get one for DirecTV.

I know it will be more robust with the dual OTA tuner and purported 30 hours of HD record time. Now if it has guide on OTA out of the gate then that will be a real big plus. As for minor issues like rebooting and DVR interface, I agree with you mark, it will probably have the same or equivalent issues. Since I have the 921 now, I will look for the bargain on the HDTIVO and save some cash. Don't need one immediately.

8. Apr 2, 2004 #8 of 12
    Eagles

Eagles Godfather/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Dec 31, 2003

9. Apr 2, 2004 #9 of 12
    RAD

RAD Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2002
    Dripping...

10. tgerrish

tgerrish Mentor

Jan 19, 2004
    These devices by their very nature are complex and require lots of development & debugging time. Lots of people have been bashing Dish for it's 921 problems, but it will be interesting to see if the HD Tivo will in fact be more reliable and have the same set of features - stay tuned...

11. cnsf

cnsf Hall Of Fame/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Jun 6, 2002
    So, what's the verdict now that it's out?

12. RAD

RAD Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2002
    Dripping...
    I've had a DirecTivo HD for about 3 weeks now. The problems that I've had are:

- The logo's for the stations are missing on my unit. Some have them some don't.
    - The audio on HDNet drops out every now and then and you need to change channels to get it back.
    - One of our local OTA stations uses PSIP to remap to channels 1.1 and 1.2, which is against PSIP standards. The APG from DirecTV doesn't account for this remap and show channel info on 26.1 and 26.2 and no info for 1.1 and 1.2. I don't consider this a fault of the unit but the station violating PSIP standards.
    - No aspect ratio control for any channels using anything but 480i.
    - The DirecTV guide is as slow as all Tivo's, the Tivo guide is a bit faster, basically runs like all DirecTivos do.

That's all I've seen wrong so far. The ATSC tuners pull in all the stations that it should, no problem with our one VHF ATSC station like the 811 had (49% bug). Except as noted above, the OTA ATSC stations have full program guide info, just like all DirecTV HD receivers, which allows for name based recording of OTA ATSC stations. No missed recordings, no recordings that wouldn't play back, no receiver hangs, no reboots. You might want to look over on the http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=36 to see with others think.