1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do you think Voom will ever be as popular as Dish and DirecTV?

Discussion in 'Polls' started by Chris Blount, May 4, 2004.

1. Yes

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. No

11 vote(s)
    16.7%
  3. Don't know

50 vote(s)
    75.8%
  4. Don't care

5 vote(s)
    7.6%
  1. Chris Blount

Chris Blount Creator of DBSTalk Staff Member Administrator DBSTalk Gold Club

Jun 22, 2001

2. tonyp56

tonyp56 Godfather

Apr 25, 2004
    Its hard to say, Voom has limited capacity, because of Dish and Directv already use most of the Satellite bandwidth, Dish and Directv already have to squeeze their signal to be able to put what channels they have up. Theres simply no bandwidth left, (to cover evenly the entire country!!) I would say until the technology that delivers Satellite TV changes Voom will never catch up. I know the reason why I haven't given Voom a serious thought is because I'd have to keep Dish so I can have all of the channels I want. That is simply to much $! That and what I've seen of Vooms offerings, the channels they have the "21 exclusive" channels, most of them are not worth the $.

3. Mike D-CO5

Mike D-CO5 Hall Of Fame

Mar 11, 2003
    Voom needs to work a deal with both satellite providers to provide hd content on the 61.5 sat . Both companies could easily attach a second dish for the hd channels just like Dish was doing previous. They could be making money off all Dish and Directv customers by providing all the hd channels that are out there. They could still provide sd channels to Voom customers and everyone would win. This would give both sat providers all the hd out there with no bandwith constraints.

Now if both Dish and Directv would work a joint venture and spin off a locals company they could finish all the locals in the country this year. Then that company could then concentrate on converting all the locals to true digital channels rather than analog tv converted to digital.

IF the sat companies would work together to further their interest against cable rather than fight amongst themselves everyone with satellite would win. Of course this will probably never happen but it would be a way to get everybody what they want with out redundancy. OF course this is what Charlie was trying to do with the merger that failed. Why can't we have the best of the merger without actually doing a true merger?

4. RAD

RAD Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2002
    Dripping...
    Without bandwidth they'll be a nitch player. If DirecTV get's the SpaceWay plan to happen then they'll have the bandwidth to do LOTS more HD. Dish might but then again I don't think Charlie knows what he's going to do tomorrow let alone next year.

5. SamC

SamC Hall Of Fame

Jan 20, 2003
    Voom-HD is a niche product.

The ultimate solution is for Voom to be absorbed by one provider or the other, or to be a "sub-contractor" for both, providing HD content, with the providers recycling the bandwidth they use for HD for other things.

6. calikarim

calikarim Mentor

Nov 11, 2003
    Currently only 5 million homes have HD sets. H D is in its infancy. Then number of HD sets in the next 4 to five years could rise to almost 50 million. The 45 million new HD customers are up for grabs. They have neither Dish or Direct Tv as their provider. When they get their set they will associate Voom with unparalleled HD. I am goint to buy stock in Cablevision's Spinoff Voom. I think they are goint to be huge, like Microsoft when they challenged IBM. In two months alone look at the momentume for Voom. Lot at the chats , the forums, the momentum is huge. Buy stock in Voom, I a m.

7. BobMurdoch

BobMurdoch Hall Of Fame

Apr 24, 2002
    They won't live that long.... With the NAB dragging their heels on HD and teh FCC letting them get away with it, HD will remain a niche product for at least the next three years. V*'s cash burn rate is too huge to survive until the market catches up. Look for a fire sale price to someone in the next 18 months (I'm betting on E* who already has customer equipment pointing at that bird already or can add it easily)

8. lempira1421

lempira1421 Cool Member

May 27, 2003
    I believe that Voom has their own satellite Rainbow 1 at orbital slot 61.5°W http://www.lyngsat.com/rain1.html the format is in Digicipher 2 8PSK different then Dish's which is Nagravision and from Directv's which is videoguard plus they will lease 16 transponders the ku-band transponders aboard AMC-6 at orbital slot http://www.lyngsat.com/amc6.html so what is all this about Voom not having any bandwidth? Also I believe that High Def is the way of the future sooner or later that will be a huge market and I think that by Voom positioning themselves as market leader they might get a big chunk of the market. RIght now, Voom offers about 28 High Def channels more than Directv and Dish combine.

Quoting Calikarim "Buy stock in Voom, I a m."

I might just follow his suggestion I think that Voom has the potential to be just as popular as Dish or Directv if not more.