1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do you Turn off your 811 when not in use?

Discussion in 'Other HD Receiver Support Forum (811, 921, 942)' started by Ron Barry, Jan 24, 2005.

WHat do you do with your 811 when not in use?

1. Leave it on 24/7?

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Turn it off when not in Use?

15 vote(s)
    28.3%
  3. Turn it off only when going to bed?

36 vote(s)
    67.9%
  4. Randomly turn it off

2 vote(s)
    3.8%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Ron Barry

Ron Barry 622 Tips & Trick Keeper

Dec 10, 2002
    To get a better idea of how user are using the 811 and to try and get a feel for user experience with the guide, I thought I poll might help. Feel free to answer the poll and describe your experience with the guide since 2.84 overall. No need to mention the bugs, just describe how it normally works.

The goal here is to maybe expose a possible bug that leads to the short Guide or maybe it is one of these works as designed and that a customer use case created this issues.

Followup Question

Is anybody that has an 811 that places it in stand by mode seeing the guide all of sudden only show a few hours. I am going to start looking at my guide more closely to see how far out it goes.

2. Ron Barry

Dec 10, 2002
    Basically I turn my off whenever It is not in use. I do this because I have a Pronto 3000NG and I program it to turn off all HT equipment when not in use.

The guide always seems up to date and i never notice lake of guide data. I do however usually never got out more than a few days.

The 811 is always off while sleeping.

3. Mikey

Mikey Hall Of Fame

Oct 26, 2004
    I never turn off my 811, or any of my Dish receivers. My guide goes out 48 hours, ever since P2.84 was downloaded. Very occasionally (twice per week?), I will see the guide download screen. That's about the same as on my 311. I was a major complainer prior to P2.84, but now I'm satisfied with the performance of the 811.

4. chris flannery

chris flannery Mentor

Jan 5, 2004
    I always turn it off when I'm done watching. I have not had a program guide download while I have been watching for quite some time now ( maybe since P282). Guide only goes out a day or so but I don't find that annoying since It is not a DVR. Over all I have had problem free operation with no reboots for about a month or more now. I used to get the occasional slow motion video problem on HD channels that would go away by switching channels & I used to get the aquiring signal & guide download when swithing from OTA to satellite every once in a while but as I say things have been pretty rock solid recently.

5. c_caz

c_caz AllStar

Jul 14, 2003
    I've found leaving it on 24/7 keeps mine behaving the best. One other thing I have it auto-tune a Sat channel at 3:30AM everyday. If I accidentally leave it on OTA all night it will get start loosing guide data and such.

6. misterdsp

misterdsp Cool Member

Apr 22, 2004

That's a good idea! I'm going to set up my box that way too.

7. LG811User

LG811User Legend

Jan 11, 2005
    I turn it off whenever it is not in use. This is because, like Ron, I have a Pronto and it turns everything off.

My guide is always up to date.

8. Ron Barry

Dec 10, 2002
    I found your post interesting since you do the exact opposite of what I do. So you don't make it a point to tune to a channel where the EPG guide Data live? The result you get is that occassional the 811 triggers and downloads necessary guide info.

So I guess we might be at the 64,000 dollar question or bug. What results in the Guide only going out a few days. I believe I have read some posts where it seems to happen after a day or so of running.

Here is what I would expect.. Jason, See if this logic makes sense. This is my take reading what was said from Dish and peoples experiences.

1) Upon start up the guide data is acquired and the guide populated.
    2) As time goes on, if you don't put the yoru 811 in standby or is not sitting on an EPG guide transponders the date line will move and you will have less guide data. 3) After a certain amount of time the 811 decides it needs more data and does a guide download and updates the guide.
    4) If it is on an EPG channel or is placed into standby it does as a background task update the guide.

It does sound like at a later date this might change a bit based on the response Jason received from Dish.

The issue I think we need to see if we can better quantify. Is the fact that people see a 2 hour guide time line the result of the sliding time table having on an 811 that has not been tuned to a EPG transponder or placed into sleep mode or is it caused by some corruption.

Followup Question:

Is anybody that has an 811 that places it in stand by mode seeing the guide all of sudden only show a few hours. I am going to start looking at my guide more closely to see how far out it goes.

9. Mikey

Mikey Hall Of Fame

Oct 26, 2004
    I just try not to leave it on an OTA station when I turn off the TV (I want that blue light on). Usually it's on one of the HD Pack stations (Discovery HD or ESPN HD). Isn't the 48 hour EPG limit an onboard memory limitation (by design)? Do you get more than 48 hours?

10. Ron Barry

Dec 10, 2002
    Well based on the description that Jason pointed out, the 48 hour limiation is based on what the guide stream provides. Looks like the 811 team is making some changes in the 811 code base to use the 9 day guide stream but only use 3 days of it. From the description, there is enough RAM for 3 days worth of Guide info.

Whenever I have checked I believe I do go out to around 48 hours.

11. steinej

steinej Cool Member

Jan 1, 2005
    Prior to receiving the P284 download, I noticed all kinds of problems with the guide. My previous version was P282. I don't use the guide on my 811 much because I have a 508 that I use for most everything but HD. Still, P284 seems to have solved most of my guide problems. This evening, for example, I noticed after replying to the poll, that it goes out to Wednesday. Most of the time before, it wouldn't go past two hours.

I have a Harmony remote and when I quit watching HDTV, it "automagically" shuts off the 811. Other than a blurry picture on SD (much improved since P284), I've gotten pretty good service out of the 811 (knock on wood... <grin>)

I noticed the clockshift problem with P282 but didn't attribute it to leaving the tuner on OTA channels until I read about it here. I haven't notice the problem since P284, but haven't paid much attention as to whether I've shut it off on an OTA or satellite channel.

John

12. Cholly

Cholly Old Guys Rule! DBSTalk Club

Mar 22, 2004
    Indian...
    I get the No Info guide display fairly often when going from HD channels in the Guide to digital OTA channels, using the channel up button. I have normally left my 811 turned on, except when going out of town for several days. No valid reason, other than the fact that I have it connected to my TiVo, and record several shows from distant NBC and CBS on a regular basis. I do have lifeline cable and could record those shows from my local outlets, but my cable PQ is nowhere as good as the distant CBS and NBC from Dish (really!). I've been too lazy to set up timers for this purpose, and the expanded EPG and season pass features of TiVo have me spoiled. :)
    My first venture into use of the timer feature of the 811 was yesterday, when I recorded a program from HDNet to my Panasonic DVD recorder. It required setting timers both in the 811 and the DVD recorder. Nowhere as nice as doing it with the TiVo.
    Now that I've read up on timer usage, I may just set up timers to have the 811 turned on during prime time, turned off around 3 a.m. and then turned on again, tuned to the History Channel around for about a half hour just to see what happens.
    Footnote: This area doesn't have LIL, so there's no PSIP data for my local OTA -- just Local Digital reported in the guide.

13. Ron Barry

Dec 10, 2002

I did a test last night and I plan a few more. I did the following.

1) Left the Recevier on and tuned into an OTA channel.
    2) Noted the time.
    3) Checked the Recevier in the Morning.
    4) Turned Receiver Off and then back on.

Here is what I observed.

1) The Guide in the morning went out to the exact same place. Last night it stretch form 9:30 pm to Wednesday at 2:30pm. IN the morning it was from 7 am this morning to Wednesday 2:30pm. So based on this I can see if you were to leave it on the guide timeline would shrink over time.

2) I did have the receiver off for about 30 minutes but that did not trigger a guide update.

3) In the morning, I pressed the EPG guide and the EPG showed "No INfo" on the guide and got the downloading guide dialog. After it downloaded the guide it know took me out to thursday. My guess is that I triggered a forced update.

Based on Jason description and what people have reported this is what I would expect the behavior to be. I plan on seeing if tunning to a EPG transponder will result in keeping the guide up to date. This might explain the reason why at times the guide is a lot shorter then 48 hours.

Moral of the story. If you want to insure your guide is updated and to minimize the downloading guide dialogs, Put your receiver on standby. Another possible work around is tuning it to a EPG guide transponder channel.

I plan on testing parking it on a EPG/channel transponder tonight and see if the guide updates. It is possible that this will not trigger a guide update. I will update this thread tomorrow after I test it.

14. Cokeswigga

Cokeswigga Legend

Jan 25, 2005
    I've been leaving my 811 on 24/7 I have guide issues about every other day.
    I think I am going to try to get into the habit of turning it off every night

15. BasicBlak

BasicBlak Mentor

Jan 25, 2005
    Looking forward to your test results. Could you or anyone else tell me specifically which EPG/channel transponder to tune to? I'd like to try it myself. Thanks! :)

16. Cholly

Cholly Old Guys Rule! DBSTalk Club

Mar 22, 2004
    Indian...
    Tune to the History Channel. That'll do it, so I'm told. Right transponder.

17. Ron Barry

Dec 10, 2002
    Well I gave it a try last night. I set the Receiver to Auto-tune to the History channel (120) and stay there all night. About 6 hours. WHen I got up this morning, the first thing I did was open the EPG and I got the downloading Guide screen. Based on this one test my guess is that having it on the same transponder as the EPG does not result in the an EPG update.

For tonights test, I am going to leave it put the receiver in standby and see if that results in what I expect.

The moral might be that you have to put your receiver in standby to keep your guide update. If someone else tried the tune to EPG transponder trick, I would be interested at your results.

18. tonyp56

tonyp56 Godfather

Apr 25, 2004
    I occasionally turn my 811 off.

I really don't understand what you are trying to say Ron, the reason why is that my 811 since day 1 (March 1st 2004) only goes 44 hours ahead, there are no (days) in the guide, there is almost two days, but not enough time to make <day> plural!:) :lol: Even though the Dishnet website says that the 811 has a "2-day Electronic Program Guide (EPG)" http://www.dishnetwork.com/content/products/receivers/HD/index.shtml

My main point is this, I test my 811 every so often, (including after I DL 2.84)for several days were I turn it off for at least thirty minutes daily, and I still get DL guide info about every 1 1/2 days when I put up the EPG. I've also tried turning it off over night, every night for a week, and the guide acts exactly the same as it does when I leave it on all the time. (I do this just to make sure that turning off my 811 won't save me the trouble of waiting every day or so) Now my only problem is like I said about every day and half I see the downloading info screen when I go to the EPG. Beyond that my EPG works as well as I expect from Dish Network. (I was a DTV customer for seven years, and I think I saw the acquiring data from satellite dialog in the EPG a hand full of times, and that was with receivers that went 72 hours ahead, not 44.) Of course when I first switched to Dish, the two 301's that I started with (and still have) would DL the guide info every few hours it seemed. (My 811 did this as well for the first month or two) But since, I believe it was 2.80 I've been happy with my EPG on my 811, other than the problems that I've talked about with locks.

I've said this before, how many of you that are having EPG problems using locks? Because in the past (around 2.80-2.82) when I used channel locks (were you select the channels that you don't want, not PPV or Adult locks) my entire 811 went nuts. (would lose data hourly, would have data on the channel, but not in the guide, or it would have data in guide but not on channel, channels would get mismapped, etc.) I'd be interested in knowing if any of you use locks, and what problems you are having. I do not use OTA, other than my Xbox being plugged into the inputs on my 811, and when I switch from that channel, after playing for a while, it takes a few minutes to get guide data up, I go to a sat channel leave it there for about 1 or 2 minutes then I go to the guide, without problems.

19. Mikey

Mikey Hall Of Fame

Oct 26, 2004
    I don't use locks. Never did.

20. BFG

BFG Hall Of Fame

Jan 23, 2004
    I always turn my 811 of when not in use.

I don't use locks.
    I use 1 favorites list, with less than 100 channels.
    I always set it to HDNet when turnning it off.

And currently it's working fine, no gudie bugs, nada...