1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do you use a DVR?

Discussion in 'Polls' started by Chris Blount, Jun 28, 2006.

Do you use a DVR?

1. Yes

7 vote(s)
    2.9%
  2. No

232 vote(s)
    97.1%
  1. Chris Blount

Chris Blount Creator of DBSTalk Staff Member Administrator DBSTalk Gold Club

Jun 22, 2001
    Simple question. Do you use a DVR with your satellite service?

2. Laverne

Laverne Guest

Feb 17, 2005
    Rub it in, why don't ya! :icon_cry:

3. ebaltz

ebaltz Hall Of Fame

Nov 23, 2004
    You mean there is someone out there that doesn't? I couldn't live without it now. I had three, but now with the 622 only need two.

4. tomcrown1

tomcrown1 Hall Of Fame

Jan 16, 2006
    DVR?? doesn't voice respect???

5. Laverne

Laverne Guest

Feb 17, 2005
    16 to 1?? :eek2:

Surely there are more of you out there somewhere! :grin:

6. Chris Blount

Chris Blount Creator of DBSTalk Staff Member Administrator DBSTalk Gold Club

Jun 22, 2001
    Talk about peer pressure. :) Maybe it's time to take the plunge.

7. Tom in TX

Tom in TX Icon

Jan 22, 2004
    It's like sex.... Once you've tried it, you can't live without it!!
    Tom in TX

8. dpd146

dpd146 Godfather

Oct 1, 2005
    Both require frequent upgrades to keep working properly. :D

9. Lurker

Lurker Legend

May 14, 2002
    I can't imagine watching TV without TiVo.

10. olgeezer

olgeezer Guest

Dec 5, 2003
    a 7200 and a 622.:D

11. olgeezer

olgeezer Guest

Dec 5, 2003
    And before someone mentions it, no I'm not into kinky sex.:D

12. AcuraCL

AcuraCL Godfather

Dec 12, 2005
    DVR? That's where they take a VCR, add a hard drive, and then charge you monthly to use it, right?

No thanks.

There isn't that much on (recurring) that I want to see, and if I miss it ... so what? ... it's tv, not something important like, you know, real life.

13. olgeezer

olgeezer Guest

Dec 5, 2003
    That's why DVRs are hard to market. Concept of what it is, is about 20 miles off base. If you don't own one, you can't visualize how wonderous they are. If you have a DVR, the best description I've heard is what Tom mentioned. Even though it's true, it doesn't translate to the rational mind. If you don't understand a DVR think with your heart and not your head. Or in the words of Hillary Rodman Clinton, we thought with our little head instead of our big head

14. olgeezer

olgeezer Guest

Dec 5, 2003
    As to expense, I spend nada on a cell phone, which makes up for the DVRs' cost and about 40 tacos. I also enjoy privacy in my vehicle and in the bathroom. That was 2 of god's commandments. Man shall know peace in the toilet and on the road.

15. ebaltz

ebaltz Hall Of Fame

Nov 23, 2004

Then why are you reading a BBS on Satellite TV? Why do you own a TV then?

16. gomezma1

gomezma1 Godfather

Mar 28, 2006
    I don't know why I have mine because half the time I will delete what I recorded without watching it. But it is worth having anyway. Especially when I'm in the middle of a program and have to go do "honey do' chores.

17. tomcrown1

tomcrown1 Hall Of Fame

Jan 16, 2006
    Dubious Respect Reserved That is DVR after sex

18. AllieVi

AllieVi Hall Of Fame

Apr 10, 2002
    I have 2 DISH 508's, but watch most programs live on an old receiver (model 4000). Several programs get recorded each day, but I typically watch them live, anyway. The recording is a back-up in case I happen to be occupied at the time.

The pause and jump back feature get used a lot. The 30-second skip button is getting a workout when watching a recorded program , too.

The DVR is certainly not a necessity, but I find its cost is well worth the benefit.

19. bidger

bidger Hall Of Fame

Nov 19, 2005
    One never knows how useful and crucial to TV viewing a DVR is until one starts using one. I pay for multichannel service and if a service allows me to watch the shows I want to watch when I want to watch them for a nominal fee, I'll do it. Luckily when I bought my first D-TiVo I opted for Lifetime Service @ $199 and that's on my account, not on the unit like a Standalone TiVo. That meant I could step up to the Series 2 D-TiVo and the HD-TiVo without a new DVR fee. After 6 years and 3 months, that initial $199 investment works out to $2.65/mo. and that's well worth it to me.

20. Steve Mehs

Steve Mehs Hall Of Fame

Mar 21, 2002
    Been using DVRs since 2001 and have no plans on ever stopping. The issue of the DVR has been one of the leading reasons why I went from Dish Network to DirecTV back to cable. When I go over to other peoples houses I’m always looking for the pause or rewind buttons on the remote control.

DVRs are more then VCRs with hard drives, they’re a godsend. When I was on the phone setting up my cable install they lady on the phone tried to upsell me to the DVR and when she said ’Would you like to try our DVR…’ I cut her off and immediately said I’ll take 2 of them, 1 SD, 1 HD. She sounded a little stunned.