1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Doctor Who: Planet of the Dead (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'TV Show Talk' started by The Merg, Aug 2, 2009.

1. Aug 2, 2009 #1 of 16
    The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    Well, I finally got to watch it last night and was impressed. Considering they had to start a new relationship for the Doctor (again), they managed to fit it in pretty well into one 1 hour 15 minute show.

I thought the show was quite entertaining, although there were a couple of slow parts. I'll continue in the next post to avoid spoilers in the pop-up previews...

- Merg

2. Aug 2, 2009 #2 of 16
    The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    I thought it very interesting how they worked into the storyline the idea that a new Doctor will be coming. The Doctor had the comment about how he pretty much lives forever and then there was the comment from the psychic bus passenger about how his life was near its end. I'm assuming she saw the Doctor "dying" during his regeneration phase.

The preview for the next Doctor Who movie also looked pretty good. It seemed to fall along the lines of this one, but appeared to have a much darker mood.

- Merg

3. Aug 2, 2009 #3 of 16
    The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    Just thought I'd throw this in here... Apparently, the remaining TV schedule for Dcotor Who Season 4 shows the following for airing on BBC:

The Waters of Mars - 11/14/2009
    The End of Time - 12/25/2009
    Untitiled - 01/01/2010

The untitled episode is when the new Doctor appears. David Tennant's run as the Doctor ends in the "End of Time" episode.

I guess from the typical lag of BBC to BBCA, the shows will probably air about 3 months later here in the U.S. They are also currently filming Season 5.

- Merg

4. Aug 2, 2009 #4 of 16
    Drew2k

Drew2k DIRECTV A-Team

Aug 16, 2006
    I missed the BBC-A airing so will get this on Netflix ... Looking forward to it!

5. Aug 2, 2009 #5 of 16
    The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    Ya know they have something nowadays called a VCR! :lol:

- Merg

6. Aug 2, 2009 #6 of 16
    want2cbetter

want2cbetter New Member

Jul 21, 2009
    You can usually pick these up on i-tunes also. That's how I got the Two Doctors episode (last Christmas special).

7. Aug 2, 2009 #7 of 16
    Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Leapin' Lizard Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    Hmmm... With Torchwood they aired only a week after the BBC... so maybe they will shorten the gap a bit?

If not... I would expect to see Waters of Mars maybe in December or January... then the other 2 specials held until just before they start running series 5 here in the US.

SciFi used to air the previous season X-mas special the week before starting the next series... and the last couple of years SciFi was airing them about a month or two behind the BBC airing.

Those dates make me curious about something else as well.

In the past we got X-Mas + next series in a DVD box set. This year no season, so lots of single releases. I have "Next Doctor" and "Planet of the Dead" on order.

I figured "Waters of Mars" would also see a single...

Based on those last 2 dates and the 2-part nature I had gathered of that story... I'm now wondering if those will be included on the Series 5 box set or if instead those might be released as a 2-disc set.

Either way I"m looking forward to Blu-ray releases from now on (minus the "Next Doctor" DVD of course as the final SD-shot Dr Who).

8. Aug 3, 2009 #8 of 16
    LOCODUDE

LOCODUDE Hall Of Fame

Aug 7, 2007
    New York

What is that? Some kind of new invention?....... :D

9. Aug 3, 2009 #9 of 16
    bonscott87

bonscott87 Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07

Jan 21, 2003
    I got it via Netflix because I refuse to watch the crappy SD on BBCA. The DVD also has an hour behind the scenes which is pretty interesting.

Anyway, it was good. Was a bit darker which I like (like Blink).

10. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA

Well, according to IMDB, all of these special episodes are considered to be a part of Season 4,

...including the episode that introduces the new Doctor.

I was just basing my expected air dates according to how BBCA has aired the recent episodes compared to their OAR dates. In both cases (Two Doctors, Planet of the Dead), they aired about 4 months later on BBCA.

- Merg

11. bonscott87

bonscott87 Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07

Jan 21, 2003
    They mentioned at Comicon that BBCA will be getting these a lot quicker, usually a week or two after BBC. Main reason is because so many people are using bit torrent to see them so they might as well just get it on BBCA as quickly as they can.

12. Drew2k

Drew2k DIRECTV A-Team

Aug 16, 2006
    Ooooh ... Blink! One of my favorite Doctor Who episodes.... Right up there with Midnight. Light and breezy is great, but the occasional "dark" episode really can be very satisfying. Now I'm looking forward even more to what will be coming in the mail from Netflix this week. :)

Edit: And I just noticed from Wiki searches on these two episodes, each was the 10th episode of their respective series. How eerie ... ;)

13. Stewart Vernon

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    IMDB has that part wrong, at least... since Series 4 was already released last year as a complete box set.

As far as I've heard from the BBC... this year is simply a series of one-shot specials... and next year is series 5... so there's no retro-lumping of this year into last year.

14. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    Maybe that's why IMDB is listing them as Season 4, since they keep saying this is not Season 5...

- Merg

15. Stewart Vernon

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    That'd be my best guess too...

I suppose by the end of the year BBC might bundle this year's specials into a release... only time will tell.

16. DiSH Defector

DiSH Defector Legend

May 4, 2008
    Maybe a little column A, some of column B...
    All of these specials are using Series 4 Production codes. Journey's End had been ep 4.13, then the specials pick up at 4.14 (The Next Doctor) thru 4.18 (TBA). So though not technically a part of Series 4, I guess you could call them Series 4.5?