1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Documentary Channel censorship question

Discussion in 'TV Show Talk' started by mkdtv21, Jun 10, 2011.

1. mkdtv21

mkdtv21 Legend

May 27, 2007
    A couple of week's ago I was watching a documentary about the F word on the Documentary channel at about 2 in the morning. Well for some reason they did not blur out the F word in anyway and it was said literally 50 times through out the show. So I thought that was not so bad since it was late at night even though it was not a premium channel like cinemax or hbo. But then this part I didn't understand was when they showed a full sex scene without blurring out anything. How can the Documentary channel show this when they are just a regular cable channel and not a premium. I know IFC is like this but I think of them more as a premium channel. So have they made new censorship rules for regular channels in the middle of the night?

2. Nick

Nick Retired, part-time PITA DBSTalk Club

Apr 23, 2002
    The...
    FCC censorship does not extend to cable-only (non-OTA) channels -- yet. Also, the Documentary channel is not a premium channel.

3. Laxguy

Laxguy Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
    I am wondering what entity you mean by "they"? The FCC? Your sat. provider? The channel content provider? Your neighborhood vigilante group? :)D on the last one.)

4. SayWhat?

SayWhat? Know Nothing

Jun 6, 2009
    aka Prudes Anonymous.

More sex, less gunfights!!!

5. olguy

olguy Hall Of Fame

Jan 9, 2006
    Long ago in the distant past I would have agreed with you. Now in my advanced years more gunfights and blowing stuff up keeps me amused. More sex just makes me jealous:p.

6. yosoyellobo

yosoyellobo Icon

Nov 1, 2006
    Jacksonville Fl
    What was the name of the show and are they showing it again?

7. cj9788

cj9788 Hall Of Fame

May 14, 2003
    On AMC The killing they say the bad words but the closed captions are edited. I think thats funny. And on south park a recent episode about City Sushi and City wok, they were saying city sushi in an accent so it sounded like they were saying Sh!tty sushi and the captions showed the word Sh!tty.

Cable is cable as Nick stated they are not held to the same obscenity standards as OTA. Also didn't NYPD Blue walk the line with naked butts and bad words in the 10pm time slot?

As far as sex scenes I personally hate them, I love a show that can entertain me with out cussing or gratuitous sex. I am far from prude but relying on sex or cussing to get ratings is just bad writing. IMO

8. mkdtv21

mkdtv21 Legend

May 27, 2007
  9. elaclair

elaclair Rescued Racers Live Here

Jun 18, 2004
    Del Mar, CA