1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DOD added to my bill?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV - R22 Discussion (private)' started by ThomasM, Apr 7, 2008.

1. ThomasM

ThomasM RF Engineer

Jul 20, 2007
    Milwaukee, WI
    I just got my paper bill and a new line item "DIRECTV on DEMAND Partial Month Charge.......$0.00" appeared. I don't have "always online" broadband internet access and I have no intention of EVER using the network port on my R22.

1. Am I going to get billed for this service now or in the future?

2. Should I delete this item from my account since I don't use it?

2. Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich Lifetime Achiever

Nov 15, 2005
    As noted in a lot of the discusion threads about DoD.

1) Not for now... And as of now... there is no planned cost for the base DoD service.... the line item was added once you have a compatible system added to your account.

2) You can't do anything about it... There is no option for it to be removed.

3. ThomasM

ThomasM RF Engineer

Jul 20, 2007
    Milwaukee, WI
    Well I just wanted to check it out as I don't want to make any changes or do anything that might disrupt the field trials. If it is free, that's fine because who knows, one of these days A T & T might upgrade my ancient central office to DSL! :)

4. dodge boy

dodge boy R.I.P. Chris Henry

Mar 31, 2006
    Even the cable company has an entry level of On Demand that is free, if D* doesn't they should let you opt out when they change it.... Just because you have a DVR you don't have to pay the DVR fee, you just can'r use DVR functions. Now we have HD capable units now and aren't forced to buy HD.

5. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    Actually, that's not true. If you activate a DVR nowadays, you are required to subscribe to a plan that includes the DVR service. If you don't, you are in violation of the subscriber agreement.

As for the R22, the receiver is capable of HD, but the specific idea of the R22 is to allow SD users to use it as well.

- Merg

6. dodge boy

dodge boy R.I.P. Chris Henry

Mar 31, 2006
    Never heard that one, do you have the agreement in pdf form?

7. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    From the DirecTV Equipment Lease Agreement...

- Merg

8. ThomasM

ThomasM RF Engineer

Jul 20, 2007
    Milwaukee, WI
    Doesn't apply. I'm not LEASING my R22. It's mine!! :)

What happens if somebody sells their owned DVR to another customer but that customer just wants to use it as a receiver. Will DirecTV activate it with the DVR function disabled?

9. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    Good point/question. In a quick check, I only found their Lease Agreement policy. I'm sure they have one for owned receivers as well.

BTW, I was responding to dodge_boy's generic statement of activating a receiver without using the DVR capability of it.

- Merg