1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DOD and Media Share

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Connected Home' started by notnufbw, Nov 18, 2008.

1. notnufbw

notnufbw Legend

Dec 10, 2006
    I've never used either DOD or Media Share before. Now that I have a computer, an Ethernet line and a big screen HDTV all in the same room for the first time I'm becoming more interested. I have an HR21-100 and my first question is which RJ45 jack is used for what? The online manual just says: " 12) ETHERNET 1 & 2 (RJ45) – Provides connectivity to your home network, and to the Internet, so
    you can access your Music & Photos from your DIRECTV Receiver and access DIRECTV On Demand broadband programming. (Note: This socket provides 5 Volts DC Power. Please ensure your equipment is compatible prior to connection.)

My understanding from my readings on D's Web site is the top jack is used for both DOD and Media Share. Is that true? If so, what's the bottom jack used for?

2. bobnielsen

bobnielsen Éminence grise

Jun 29, 2006
    Bainbridge...
    The second jack can be used to daisy-chain another ethernet device to share the connection.

3. notnufbw

notnufbw Legend

Dec 10, 2006
    Does that mean I could plug in a Playstation3 or similar device, or a computer perhaps? Am I right to assume you could only use one device at a time or one service at a time? In other words I could be downloading a movie via the DOD service through the top RJ45 jack and when done with that I could surf the Web with my computer connected to the bottom jack and not have to disconnect my Ethernet cable and reconnect to my computer....?

Thanks,

VR

4. BattleScott

BattleScott Hall Of Fame

Aug 28, 2006
    Yes you can plug in any other ethernet device you may have in the second jack on the HR21. Both devices can be used simultaneously.

5. notnufbw

notnufbw Legend

Dec 10, 2006
    Well, that would be terrific if another device can operate simultaneously using just the single Ethernet line that goes to the router. I had understood, apparently in error, that two devices could not use the same Ethernet line unless special splitters were employed at both ends of the line to separate the 8 wires inside the cable into two 4 wire lines with each device using one of the 4 wire pathways.

Thanks,

VR

6. BattleScott

BattleScott Hall Of Fame

Aug 28, 2006
    You would only need to do that if you wanted to use 1 physical line to connect 2 ethernet devices to your router without adding an ethernet hub. You can take 1 line from your router and attach a 4 port ethernet hub to it, then you can connect 4 ethernet devices to that hub. They will all work simultaneously and independantly using that same ethernet cable to the router.
    The DVR operates the same way, the second port acting as a single port hub allowing for a second device to be connected and share the ethernet line to the router.

7. notnufbw

notnufbw Legend

Dec 10, 2006
    I'll definitely file that information away in my rather old memory banks for future reference. Coincidently, I just connected the splitters that came in today's mail. At first I didn't think they were going to work. I must have connected, disconnected and reconnected the 6 jacks and 6 ports involved with the splitters in every possible configuration and finally everything seems to be working fine. The HR21 gives me a message on channel 1000 to wait for an hour before I'll see an "On Demand" listing. So I assume that means it's connected to the right place. Thanks again.

VR