1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DoD Bandwidth ?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Connected Home' started by bllreed, Sep 22, 2008.

1. bllreed

bllreed AllStar

Dec 25, 2006
    Does anyone have any idea what kind of bandwidth this content is being sent to
    requestors? From the posts I've seen so far it must be a pretty good pipe. Just
    wondering how it may be when they start making significant volumes of HD available....

2. gregjones

gregjones Hall Of Fame

Sep 20, 2007
    This has been discussed a number of times in a number of different threads. DirecTV is using a content hosting service for these items and seems prepared. Your mileage may vary according to your ISP.

3. davring

davring Hall Of Fame

Jan 13, 2007
    I have never seen it exceed 3mbps, some have reported faster speeds. It varies.

4. gregjones

gregjones Hall Of Fame

Sep 20, 2007
    I have seen transfer rates above 5 Mbps, but keep in mind that depends on a lot more than DirecTV's bandwidth. Bandwidth end-to-end is dependent on the segment between DirecTV's content and you with the lowest available bandwidth. For instance, if your ISP has lousy connections out to different parts of the internet, you could have a 20Mbps downstream connection and not see anything close to even 2 Mbps. If your ISP has a number of effective links, you might be able to max out a 5 Mbps connection.

5. nino2469

nino2469 AllStar

Mar 25, 2007
    how are you seeing the speeds your dvr gets?

6. gregjones

gregjones Hall Of Fame

Sep 20, 2007
    I have a bandwidth prioritizer that sits between my router and dsl modem. Since it sees all traffic, it can count it. Unplug everything else aside from the DVR and see the numbers fly.

7. MountainMan10

MountainMan10 Icon

Jan 30, 2008
    I am using dd-wrt on a Linksys 310N router to display the download speeds. I have seen the DVR peek as high as 10 megabit, but mostly it averages around 4-5 with peaks around 7 and valleys around 2.

8. mephisto

mephisto Mentor

Sep 22, 2007
    I'm also using DD-WRT which displays a realtime bandwidth graph. Mine mostly averages around 5-6 Mbit.

9. mx6bfast

mx6bfast Hall Of Fame

Nov 8, 2006
    Delray...
    What software do you recommend to see the network stats coming thru the router? I have a Linksys 54g router. Does that one have something on it that I can track the traffic?