1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

DOD Download Speed

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Connected Home' started by narrod, Oct 31, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. narrod

narrod Godfather

Jul 26, 2007
    Thanks to the collective knowledge of this group my DOD is installed and working properly. Using DSL the download speed is painfully slow. It seems the only practical thing to do is to download at night. Not really "on demand" but OK. I assume the HD downloads, when available, will be even slower. Anyone using a cable modem? How is the download speed?

2. FriscoJoe

FriscoJoe Cool Member

Mar 22, 2007
    Same here with cable modem. I thought (hoped?) that once the download started, it would keep up so that you could start watching within minutes. That was not the case for me last night.

Perhaps the DOD servers are quite busy with all the new users playing with DOD for the first time??

3. jtn

jtn Banned User

Oct 18, 2007
    It is likely more demand on servers than anticipated by DirecTV. And variances in Cable / DSL providers and speed of connections. Throttling etc.

4. hasan

hasan New Member

Sep 22, 2006
    Ogden, IA
    You ought to try it at 256K, which is what we have out in the sticks.:)

It does work, but overnight would be considered "fast" in my situation. (This is not D*'s fault, of course). I just wanted to test it and it worked just fine.

5. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    I think it might be helpful if you did a speed test at one of your favorite sites (I prefer dslreports.com) after the download to see what your local download speed is.

6. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    This thread has been moved to the On Demand forum.

7. dixoncider

dixoncider AllStar

Sep 10, 2006
    Pretty fast for me, 25min sd content in about 4 or 5 minutes. The menu sucks but ondemand is pretty cool. Content will be the key here

8. d max82

d max82 Godfather

May 23, 2007
    I used to be able to start the download and then start watching as soon as I could navigate back to my now playing list, even on 2 hour movies with no problem. In the last couple of days it has become painfully slow taking hours to download and hour long show. I've checked my ISP speed and its as high as it ever was, so I think D*s servers are just under heavy load now with the masses able to access DOD

9. mikefeuer

mikefeuer Legend

Dec 12, 2006
    It took quite a while for what appears to be a full menu of available programs to appear, but it works well. I tried two programs, a 44 minute and the 4 minute intro/welcome to DOD. I wasn't paying a lot of attention but it seems to me that the download times were fairly long at about perhpas 75% of the time of the actual program.

I have a 6MB DSL and using the Linksys WET11. I suspect the WET11 is a terrible drag. Can someone advise how either the new Linksys bridge or game adaptor would speed up downloads.

I hadn't thought about it, but we were watching s show, recording another and added the DOD queue. Seems like a bonus ability.

Even at the lower speed it doesn't really matter to me as it's not interfering with anything, but faster would be better. It is working well for me. I like the progress meter and the overall look and feel. It's a novelty and having Premier and all this HD now I doubt I'll make much use of it, but nice to have.

10. DConroy

DConroy Mentor

Dec 15, 2005
    Cable here, and a 5 minute content took about 10 mins to download. Not truly fast, or instant. But...should the selection of content improve it could still be very useful.

So, for example, theres a PPV movie this month I want to see, but it doesnt happen to be showing in the 100s at the moment. I select it, start the d/l and just watch a previously recorded show for an hour, and bingo, movies ready. Still pretty impressive IMO.

My current issue, is there's just nothing on there I want right now.

11. robdec

robdec Legend

Jul 12, 2007
    Comcast cable here. I downloaded a 45 min show in about 15 min. Not too bad I guess.

12. MikeR

MikeR Hall Of Fame

Oct 5, 2006

You are probably only getting 2-4 Mbps throughput with the WET11. Newer bridges or game adapter have the "g" standard (theoretically to 54Mbps, actual up to 20Mbps).....Or for futureproofing pre-N

13. jtn

jtn Banned User

Oct 18, 2007
    If you do wireless get PRE-N since it can handle more speed (270mbps) which is good for HD and gaming. And the transmission is 4-12 X better than G wireless.

14. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    This will give you some idea of your speed; http://www.speedtest.net/
    If you're not close to 3 Mb/s, VOD is going to be painful. IMO

15. Wisegoat

Wisegoat Icon

Aug 16, 2006
    Downloaded a 25 minute show from Anime network in about 2 minutes. I have a 10MB pipe from TimeWarner. I wish you could download more than 1 thing at a time, however. My pipe can handle the load. Would also like to see more HD so I can test the speed of that.

16. narrod

narrod Godfather

Jul 26, 2007
    Yeah, I know you are riight. I have a 802.11g network and slow (768kb) DSL service so upgrading to Pre-N is not going to help. I pay only $10 a month for DSL and Internet and don't want to upgrade and pay more. It cost me nothing to
    activate DOD and I can adjust to downloading when I go to bed so the speed will not be an issue. It's a cool feature and another reason for moving to the HR20. It makes DirecTv more attractive to me and gives me one less reason to switch to a different provider.

17. jash

jash AllStar

Sep 1, 2007
    earl,

can you ask the guys to put a speedtest on the hr20's so we can see what kind of speed it's really getting on the box, regardless of what the rest of our home network says it's doing?

thx

18. hells_bells

hells_bells AllStar

Jul 15, 2007
    Guess we just have to plan ahead and not try to watch the show immediately after we start the download.

19. cougar

cougar AllStar

Jul 6, 2007
    I downloaded my first DOD program this morning, a 2-hour standard def movie, it took 1 hour and 35 minutes to download. I have AT&T DSL, the 6.0 Mbps package. I have an ethernet cable connecting the HR20 to the router.

Networking the HR20 last night was a snap, and I woke up this morning to a long list of programs available for downloading. :)

20. mikefeuer

mikefeuer Legend

Dec 12, 2006
    That's very interesting for me. Same DSL and vendor, and your D/L time was still roughly 75% of the programs time in a wired system. Same as my wireless times the other day.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.