1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DOD questions.....

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by amahdi, Feb 15, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. amahdi

amahdi Legend

Sep 30, 2002
    1) For DOD, if a get a get a wireless ethernet adapter, which simply converts the wired ethernet signal into wireless - would it be fine for DOD or should I go with the powerline solution?

2) Also - after I get the DOD working - do I need something else to connect my PC to the receiver if I want to download music, pix, etc? Is that called media share?

Thanks in advance!

2. Michael D'Angelo

Michael D'Angelo Lifetime Achiever

Oct 20, 2006
    1) A wireless adapter with an ethernet connection works great. I have a Linksys WGA54G game adapter and it works great for DoD and Media Share for me.

2) Besides having your HR20/21 and your PC networked to a router there is nothing else you need to connect between the two. You just need to have a media player like WMP11 and there are a few others that work. You need to allow the HR20/21 to share with it and you will see a new Music & Photo's option added to the menu on the HR20/21.

Yes that is called Media Share.

3. BubblePuppy

BubblePuppy Good night dear Smoke... love you & "got your butt

Nov 3, 2006

Ok, I am a self admitted noob when it comes to this sort of thing.
    How do you get WMP11 to share with the HR20?:confused:

4. Michael D'Angelo

Oct 20, 2006
    Right click the top bar on WMP11-->Tools-->Options-->Library-->Configure Sharing-->check the "Share my media to" box-->You should see a unknown device. Allow it and you should get a new "Music & Photo's" option added to your HR20 menu.

5. BubblePuppy

Nov 3, 2006

Nope. Didn't work.

Now it's there. I closed WMP11 and it showed up in my HR20 menu. I guess you can't have both running at the same time?

6. bakers12

bakers12 ΔS > 0

May 29, 2007
    Chicago -...
    I couldn't get WMP11 to work with my HR20-700 after trying for a few hours. I downloaded TVersity for free. It has support for DirecTV DVRs built in, a codec pack that will transcode most everything and it was working in minutes.

7. BubblePuppy

Nov 3, 2006
    Thank you very much.
    This is very cool.

8. Dr_J

Dr_J Icon

Apr 15, 2007
    Just curious, does WMP10 work?

9. Michael D'Angelo

Oct 20, 2006
    No, you need to upgrade to WMP11.

10. amahdi

amahdi Legend

Sep 30, 2002
    Thanks for the info. I will get a wireless adapter. Just out of curiosity, why does anyone use powerline adapters if wireless does the same thing?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.