1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Does 522 have playback stuttering/lag?

Discussion in 'Standard Definition Receiver Support Forum' started by Bogey62, Feb 2, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Feb 2, 2005 #1 of 11
    Bogey62

Bogey62 Godfather

Nov 30, 2002
    As the subject asks, does the 522 suffer from one of the biggest problems that the 721 has... playback of some recordings will stutter/lag for a few seconds. This is very annoying and forces me to have to babysit the 721 while dubbing off a show.

I've had 4 721s over the past 2.5 years and ALL of them suffered from this problem. I have 90+ signal strengths on both tuners and it doesn't seem to be related to how busy the unit is -- it could just be playing back a movie, and nothing else, yet I still have this problem at times.

I would consider selling the 721 and going to a 522 if it would mean that I would no longer have to deal with this issue.

BTW, people with 721s that say they have never experienced this stuttering/lag either don't pay very close attention to what they are watching or they hardly ever watch prerecorded material from their 721, IMHO.

2. Feb 2, 2005 #2 of 11
    Jacob S

Jacob S Hall Of Fame

Apr 14, 2002
    Either that or some of the 721 owners have gotten used to the problem and we dont notice it anymore.

Does this problem show up in the morning hours around 3 am? I notice this with mine at that time when the receiver seems so slow to respond to my actions but the 522 does not do this because I set it to download data at 7AM. If we could tell the 721 when to download the data from the satellite then we wouldn't experience that issue either if you set it to download the data when we are asleep or at work.

3. Feb 2, 2005 #3 of 11
    Bogey62

Bogey62 Godfather

Nov 30, 2002
    With all of mine it has happened at anytime. It makes no difference if the unit is recording 1, 2 or no programs at all while trying to playback a program from the hard drive. The time of day doesn't seem to matter, either. I've even got used to the weekly reboots to speed the entire system back up, but that has no effect on the stuttering issue. It's very annoying and has never seemed to have been addressed by E*.

4. Feb 3, 2005 #4 of 11
    Racerx

Racerx AllStar

Dec 4, 2004
    In a word: Yes.

5. Feb 3, 2005 #5 of 11
    Bogey62

Bogey62 Godfather

Nov 30, 2002
    I heard that the 522 had stuttering in live mode, but it also has it in playback? If so... ouch! That's a deal breaker for me.

6. Feb 3, 2005 #6 of 11
    Jacob S

Jacob S Hall Of Fame

Apr 14, 2002
    I have not noticed stuttering in mine and someone else that has a 522 has not complained about theirs either. Maybe they had a bad batch of 522's or a particular issue with them.

7. Feb 3, 2005 #7 of 11
    garypen

garypen Hall Of Fame/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Feb 1, 2004
    And your humble opinion would be wrong. I don't recall ever seeing this issue on my 721. I DO pay very close attention to what I watch, in terns of audio and video quality. I watch quite a few DVR events. But, even if I only watched live TV, ALL viewing on the 721 is delayed playback from the hard drive. That's how a DVR works.

I am also very critical of Dish products and services, as you know. But, I must say that, overall, the 721 is a pretty good little unit. I will no doubt miss some of its features when I switch to Comcast later this month.

8. Feb 3, 2005 #8 of 11
    Jacob S

Jacob S Hall Of Fame

Apr 14, 2002
    That does make since seeing how I have other receiver models as well not just the 721 so I would think that I would notice a difference between them. It may be different if someone only had the 721 and that was it as they could end up not noticing certain things after a while.

9. Feb 3, 2005 #9 of 11
    Bogey62

Bogey62 Godfather

Nov 30, 2002
    Then I would love to have your "perfect" 721 :) -- all 4 that I have had from E* suffer from exactly the same problem during playback of prerecorded events. I have excellent signal strengths and the system has been located at 2 different residences with exactly the same problems. E* can't explain the problem, so all they do is keep replacing the units.

10. **pinke_13**

**pinke_13** Mentor

Jan 26, 2005
    well that what happen deal with it and move on life is not perfect

11. garypen

garypen Hall Of Fame/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Feb 1, 2004
    I would love to have a perfect one, too. But, even though mine is far from it, it has no issue with stuttering during playback.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.