1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Does 622 do a soft reboot every night?

Discussion in 'ViP612/622/722/722K DVR Support Forum' started by sunfire01, Mar 18, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sunfire01

sunfire01 AllStar

Feb 6, 2006
    I was wondering if the 622 does a soft reboot at night when it gets the new guide and all? I have been having some problems since l3.55 update with the toslink sound going out on the 129 channels and last night I just went to bed and woke up to the sound being back for a little while before having to hit the power button for a soft reboot when the sound went out again.

Jason

2. bkushner

bkushner Cool Member

Mar 17, 2006
    I have my update set for 1:30 AM and I've noticed that after the receiver checks for update it has been rebooting. I assume this is normal and done to refresh memory. I have a replay (tivo like) device that reboots ever 5 days or so automatically.

Brian

3. David-A

David-A AllStar

Feb 21, 2006
    My 622 also seems to reboot after 3 AM many nights. (I'm not sure if it is every night.) However, it also reboots many other times as well. (Dish is sending me a new 622.) If it was recording at that time, there's a loss of a few minutes of the program and then it starts a new recording segment.

However, according to the DVR user guide, chapter 11 on page 94 in the section titled "Scheduling receiver Updates" it says:

Therefore, I don't think the reboot happens by design. That would be a serious limitation, in my opinion, since it would mean you couldn't make any recording during whatever time you scheduled the Program Guide update.

4. scooby2

scooby2 AllStar

Nov 29, 2005
    It reboots if nothing is going on at 3am by default. I was watching the F1 race this morning and it asked if it could reboot as scheduled at 3am. I told it no and assume it will reboot tonight.

Kinda odd they do that but it is one way to get around buggy software. Linux is definitely not the reason its done so it must be buggy software.

00:02:11 up 1787 days, 6:29, 2 users, load average: 0.39, 0.24, 0.12

:)

5. Boomer27

Boomer27 Cool Member

Feb 1, 2006
    I posted something on this two weeks ago because I also noticed it FSCK the file systems nightly. I guess they are doing the reboot nightly to clean up potential problems.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.