1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Does activating a Genie Client extend your contract?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by LiQiCE, Aug 21, 2013.

1. LiQiCE

LiQiCE Mentor

Feb 13, 2006
    Northern...
    Sorry if this has already been asked / answered - but I was curious if activating a Genie Client would extend my contract?

I know for most, they get a new Genie with a bunch of clients which extends the contract - but if lets say I wanted to add an additional client in my house a year after I got a Genie - does my contract extend an additional 2 years?

It looks like from the TOS, the Genie Mini Client counts as an "advanced receiver" and not a standard receiver. Kind of funny considering the Mini Clients probably are a lot less advanced in terms of hardware than a normal satellite receiver.

2. peds48

peds48 DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    Sure, it adds a new 24 month commitment

3. peds48

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    however adding an TV RVU client does not, but both carry the same $6.00 a month monthly fee

4. LiQiCE

LiQiCE Mentor

Feb 13, 2006
    Northern...
    Got it - so if I wanted to add a Genie Mini client I'd have to find an "owned" one to get out of the commitment - if there is such a thing.

Might be cheaper to buy an owned H25 :)

5. peds48

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    Yup. or buy a new RVU TV

6. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    "Advanced" doesn't really have the same definition to DirecTV as we do. I think an R16 is advanced being a DVR, as is an H20 being HD.

7. peds48

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    :righton: +1

8. ThomasM

ThomasM RF Engineer

Jul 20, 2007
    Milwaukee, WI
    Most of the DirecTV daffynitions don't mean much. For example, an R22 is a "standard definition DVR". In reality, it's an HR21 HD DVR with a different nameplate on the front.

Recently, to further confuse customers they decided to hide charges that customers might question. As a result, "HD fee" and "whole home fee" are no longer included in the DirecTV vocabulary. Instead, they were replaced with "Advanced receiver fee" which included the "DVR fee" and also cleverly increased the "whole home" price by $2 for customers who signed up after 2-9-12.