1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Does any one like the HR21?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by Sea bass, Dec 13, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sea bass

Sea bass Icon

Jun 9, 2005
    Damn! I'm waiting for my HR21 but all I can see is negative feedback in these forums...any good feedback or features that I might like compared to my R-15? Kinda affraid to install it nowThx.

2. dthreet

dthreet AllStar

Jun 5, 2006
    If you like your R15, you will love the HR21. I promise

3. glennb

glennb Hall Of Fame

Sep 21, 2006
    A lot of people come here only to complain.

Don't take it all to heart.

For some people that's the only thing they enjoy doing.

4. mortimer

mortimer Legend

Nov 5, 2007
    The HR21 has been ok for me. It's my first foray into HD, and to tell the truth, I've become more interested in watching HD material than recording stuff.

I'm a long time DirecTivo user, and while the interface is much different, it does what it's supposed to do. Some bugs, which are being worked on and fixed at a fine pace for such a new platform. And there are many promising features upcoming (streaming video and multi room viewing, hopefully).

My only complaint about the HR21 is the lack of OTA capabilities. The HR21 wasn't released (and I hadn't heard of it) when I ordered the HD DVR. When the installer arrived and I found no OTA capabilities, I was quite disappointed. What has made it worse is that DirecTV refuses to rectify the situation and switch me out with an HR20. I need OTA to record my local HD stations.

But with my local HD stations promised next year, the quick pace of bug fixes and feature additions, and my increasing familiarity with the distinctly non-Tivo-like interface, I'm guessing that this will be the best HD DVR solution out there in 6 months or so.

5. say-what

say-what Active Member

Dec 14, 2006
    New Orleans
    I love my HR21 and as soon as it catches up to the HR20, I'll really love it.

6. Soulweeper

Soulweeper Icon

Jan 9, 2005
    My first one had a bad tuner...........kept giving me the 771 error on tuner 1. Second one seems to be fine, other than a little pixelating, which I can't necessarily blame on the unit, because it isn't consistent enough to trouble shoot. Overall, I like it. And, it looks cool with all my other black components :D

7. reggie

reggie Legend

Jul 8, 2007
    I think I like mine. It doesn't have DLB, but I am learning to live without it - or more likely forgetting it. I really do like the UI better than my old SD Tivo.

The only thing that is really starting to annoy my is that it slows down occasionally when using trick play. It comes back within 10-30 seconds, but during that time it appears hung up. Happens more frequently when recording. Seems like a thread locking problem to me. Once that problem is fully resolved and a few other annoyances are resolved, I will be much happier. All that said, I do like it.

8. RunnerFL

RunnerFL Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2006
    My HR21 is my main DVR out of the 4 that I have.

Sure, it's a little bit behind on software features but other than that it's a great machine.

9. tfederov

tfederov Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2005
    HR21 is my main receiver. It's networked and has been working fine.

10. Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich Lifetime Achiever

Nov 15, 2005
    It is the nature of forum boards... to see the compalints vastly out number the non-complaints.

If we had everyone posting... that things were good/great, no issues.

We would have a very flooded message board... (IMHO).

As to the original question...

HR21 cranking along just fine.
    Son loves it (It is "his" to use)

11. MIAMI1683

MIAMI1683 New Member

Jul 11, 2007
    I like my hr21 and hr20 700's very much. IMHO they are better then the hr20-100 i have, but thats just my opinion. Also, I think th epic is sharper on the hr21 then either of the hrxx, again this is just my opinion

12. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    I've heard a lot of positive feedback about HR21s, how they are quieter, more attractive, and just as reliable.

13. Doug Brott

Doug Brott Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Jul 12, 2006
    Los Angeles
    As long as you are cool with not having over the air (antenna) capability, the HR21 is a great receiver. It uses the next generation chipset and operating system over the HR20 and (as stuart noted) comes in a slick black package that fits nicely with a lot of A/V equipment.

14. GBFAN

GBFAN Godfather

Nov 13, 2006
    I have an HR21-700, HR20-700 and an H20 which all work fine. I also just replaced an R-15 with the HR21 and my wife has not complained. The HR21 is the one she uses.

15. dshu82

dshu82 Icon

Jul 6, 2007
    Got HR21 back on Monday, works great. Have HR20 in bedroom, same. BTW: Did not think the color was a big deal, but really like the black in the living room as it matches all my other components.

16. machavez00

machavez00 Hall Of Fame

Nov 2, 2006
    Phoenix,...
    My Best Buy carries the HR21 only

17. Slyster

Slyster Icon

May 17, 2005
    I LOVE IT! I just never say it since I only start of post if I have a problem.. like Earl said.. it's just the nature of forums.. and people..

18. Bike Effects

Bike Effects AllStar

Sep 30, 2006
    I was a faithful TiVo guy and reluctant to change but did so a little more than a week ago. Much to my surprise, I am enjoying the capabilities of this new box and enjoy it more than my HR10-250. My first HR21 failed after about 8 hours but this one is running great.

HR10-250 for sale.

19. Bill Broderick

Bill Broderick Icon

Aug 25, 2006
    Long Island
    The only problem that I've had with either of my two HR21's is that it doesn't sync up with the Toshiba 34" HDTV in my bedroom when it switches from a 1080i signal to a 480p signal. At first, I just set the receiver so that it only sent 1080i signals. But, upon picking up an HR20-700 from Costco, I first tried that box in the bedroom. It syncs up with the TV perfectly. So I installed the HR21 in the guest bedroom, where it works perfectly.

The only reason that I would have a problem with the HR21's is if I needed OTA. For me, OTA would be nice because I could pick up a few channels that are not on DirecTV yet. But I rarely watch those channels anyway. So, it's not a big deal.

20. scottjf8

scottjf8 Godfather

Oct 5, 2006
    Dallas, TX
    I love my HR21, and like others have said, when they add things (DoD, 30skip, etc) it'll rock out with it, well, ya know.

Plus the black matches my Samsung TV :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.