1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Does anyone here use Hotmail/Windows Live Messenger a lot?

Discussion in 'Tech Talk - Gadgets, Gizmos and Technology' started by Lord Vader, Apr 27, 2013.

1. Lord Vader

Lord Vader Supreme Member

Sep 20, 2004
    Galactic Empire
    If you do NOT use Hotmail, please do not bother to reply how you hate it; how it sucks; etc. etc. I'm interested in only those people who currently use Hotmail, preferably as one of, if not their primary, Email address. I ask because ever since this stupid merging with Skype, which I have had installed for a few years anyway but have not yet merged with Hotmail officially, I've had nothing but headaches trying to simply receive notifications of when I get Email. I used to have Windows Live Messenger auto-log in every time I'd boot my PC, but now Windows Live Messenger doesn't work worth a darn at all. Attempts to upgrade WLM per the programs orders to do so are futile, because it sends me in circles.

This may very well be the final thing that causes me to dump, after 15 years, my Hotmail Email address, to which all of my other ones automatically go (hence my using it as my main one).

2. Karen

Karen Godfather

Oct 4, 2007
    I think Windows Live Mail would give you notifications if you leave it running in the background. I used to get my hotmail email through Outlook, but now, I have it imported into my gmail account and have Outlook download it.

3. Lord Vader

Sep 20, 2004
    Galactic Empire
    Well, within the last few weeks, Hotmail converted to Outlook, which I've never used (never liked it). Ever since that happened, which was about the same time Messenger became Skype, my audible notifications broke.

4. houskamp

houskamp New Member

Sep 14, 2006
    I have used winlive for mail for years.. I also run trillian for messaging, it will give popups for new mail on any of the asociated mail accounts.. it will do pretty much all the messagers in one program too..
    haven't seen it screwup from changeover yet.

5. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    A long time ago we had to switch from Outlook Express to Windows Live Mail.
    It puts a yellow envelope on the task bar on the lower right hand side of the screen and it plays a sound when you get new mail. The sound can be changed using the Windows System Sound choices.

I have a laptop and a desktop. If I add or edit a contact it updates the other machine to match.

6. Karen

Karen Godfather

Oct 4, 2007
    The Outlook I was talking about is the program that comes with Microsoft Office. I leave it running all day. Windows Live Mail should work very well for you, and might already be installed on your computer.

7. dennisj00

dennisj00 Hall Of Fame

Sep 27, 2007
    Lake Norman, NC
    I assume you've checked the preferences for sounds /notifications. It's possible they got changed in the update / migration.

8. Lord Vader

Sep 20, 2004
    Galactic Empire
    It's installed and in use. I should have clarified that that is what I've been using--Hotmail through Windows Live--for some time. Since this migration with Skype and to Outlook, my audio notifications don't work for one main reason--I'm unable to log in to Windows Live (Messenger). No matter what I try, it just says it's signing on but doesn't go anywhere.

I did check; nothing changed.

9. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    I find Outlook.com to be more usable than hotmail.com, but Live Mail has always been a disappointment (although it's a dream come true compared to trying to work with win8 mail.) as for Messenger, I personally had huge problems with it due to its heavy use of the WinSXS subsystems. Eventually I chose to move to a new computer. Now having moved to Skype, I find no backend problems but I decry skype's inefficient use of screen real estate.

10. wingrider01

wingrider01 Hall Of Fame

Sep 9, 2005
    Actual Hotmail.com now redirects to outlook.com