1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Does anyone own a Denon 4802 reveiver?

Discussion in 'Archive' started by MrFooks, Mar 6, 2005.

1. MrFooks

MrFooks AllStar

Nov 20, 2004
    I am having a major problem with my 4802 and am completely baffled.
    I am hoping some members are going to offer some good advice.
    I have had the 4802 that came with the touch screen remote for a couple of years.
    I run my dish 921 audio with fiber optic through it. Picture is fed independently via an HDMI cable since the 4802 doesn't offer HDMI switching.
    I select dbs/sat for the audio from my dish 921.

I also have a Denon 2910 DVD player that I run audio through a coaxial cable input.
    The picture is fed via component cable

I also connect my computer through a fiber optic input on the VDP input for audio playback only purposes.

I just purchased a Sony DVD recorder, and for the life of me I cannot get it to play back any audio, unless I connect to the inputs where my dvd player had been connected.
    When I do this the Sony will play back in full 6.1 DD or DTS no problem.
    If I then try to re-connect the 2910 to a different input, then that won't give me any audio.
    I have tried using a fiber optic cable and coax cable for audio and have re-assigned the digital inputs on the Denon 4802.

My question for the members I guess is this, "Is it possible that some of the digital inputs could have gone bad on the 4802.
    Please bare in mind that I have tried re-assigning fiber and coax in the 4802 set up menu all to no avail.
    If I switch the cables around that on one of the working dvd players both will perform perfectly, so I know the DVD players each have their own repsective menus set up correctly.

Any takers on this one?
    Sorry to be so long winded but I wanted to explain as much as possible.

2. JM Anthony

JM Anthony Child of the 60's DBSTalk Gold Club

Nov 16, 2003
    I've got a 4802-R. My suggestion would be to contact the dealer your got yours from and ask them your questions. If that's not possible, I suggest contact Magnolia Audio/Video in Seattle (206.525.1961). I bought my Dennon from then along with a ton of other gear over the last 35 years. They are exceptionally good folks to work with.

Good luck and let me know how it works out. The 4802 is a great unit and I hope you get it back up and running soon.